• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering/brake pump EVO Conversion

MrMarty51

Reaction score
I tried doing a search for this item in a thread but it seems that every time I use the search feature it always tells me that the function could not be performed for some silly reason or another. LOL Been wondering why the PS on My 2000 K3500 was not working so well. It was AKDiesel Driver that pointed out this electronic variable orifice system to Me. I looked up the conversion kit to eliminate the EVO, GM part number 19168825, about 60 bucks on line, almost 90 from Our local GM dealer. I am also going to try just unplugging the wire connector from it and see what happens then. I think it should default to the wide open position and give full pressure like the conversion kit would do, but, I know not for sure. LOL

Unplugging the solenoid should default to max steering all the time which will be pretty soft st highway speeds. The kit reverts back to the old style valve which uses a small orifice which is in between the variable system's min and max outputs. I had s 95 pump sitting on the shelf that I took the output fitting/orifice out of, and installed a 96 line to do away with the EVO system cheap if you have the fitting. The GM kit has some fitment complaints as most say it's difficult to route the hose after installing it because the adapter in the kit wasn't bent correctly. I have a known good valve and solenoid for the EVO system if you want it($10 + shipping, I know they're discontinued now). I also found out the EVO system is controlled by the theft module, so if you have any problems with it, then the system can mess up. I took it out of my 99 because several have had wrecks from the valve cycling during turns at speed, and the valve opening causing the steering to dart all the way over.

the other part of the system is the sensor at the base of the steering column that senses how much the steering wheel is being moved. I'm opting to keep the passlock but get rid of the EVO

Unplugging the solenoid should default to max steering all the time which will be pretty soft st highway speeds. The kit reverts back to the old style valve which uses a small orifice which is in between the variable system's min and max outputs. I had s 95 pump sitting on the shelf that I took the output fitting/orifice out of, and installed a 96 line to do away with the EVO system cheap if you have the fitting. The GM kit has some fitment complaints as most say it's difficult to route the hose after installing it because the adapter in the kit wasn't bent correctly. I have a known good valve and solenoid for the EVO system if you want it($10 + shipping, I know they're discontinued now). I also found out the EVO system is controlled by the theft module, so if you have any problems with it, then the system can mess up. I took it out of my 99 because several have had wrecks from the valve cycling during turns at speed, and the valve opening causing the steering to dart all the way over.
I`ll take that valve right offa Your hands for You. LOL PM Me Your information and I`ll send out a check or the cash, Your choice.

the other part of the system is the sensor at the base of the steering column that senses how much the steering wheel is being moved. I'm opting to keep the passlock but get rid of the EVO
I am not sure that this truck has any kind of pass lock or security system on it. I have never seen any lights for it and, the radio had been replaced to some fancy brand that I have never figured out how to consistently operate. LOL

Should be a light at the top right corner of the dash . Should come on during bulb check unless it's been disabled in the PCM in which case you'd have a u1000 code with a good scanner

No U1000 code was ever detected, I`ve had it on an OTC genesis scanner, that scanner tool will read the injectors timing and way more stuff than I need to know. LOL I will double check for the light when I get ready to fire the truck to go to a Dr. appt in a while.

I had nothing but issues with the system was in and out of dealers across the nation while traveling "I'm lucky I did not have any accidents with the steering going whichever way it wanted too" however; one time the dealer in Rome Ga. had the Burb for a week so I found myself in a motel and exploring that area with some good ole boys I knew up there to keep busy.

Another issue is that if going with a hydro winch the system has to be removed too and PSC makes a point of that with it's ram steering too.

Should be a light at the top right corner of the dash . Should come on during bulb check unless it's been disabled in the PCM in which case you'd have a u1000 code with a good scanner
I checked the dash lights when key is first turned on, no lights mention security, I even looked for a small red light, none present, no room for any other warning lights between the ones that's already there. After I get the coolant pump and the batteries reconnected I`ll get a pic of the dash upon key being turned to run.

Back