• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starting problem

Dixieoutlaw

Reaction score
I have 95 6.5. I’ve read a few threads on here but none of them helped much. The other day it cranked fine and when I put it in reverse it shut off. Checked all connections and tighten what was needed. Has happened again since but now it won’t start sometimes. When I turn the key to the on position no lights come on and the voltage is not reading. I have power cuz the radio comes on and I hear my lp turn on but truck won’t fire. Starter is turning over and I know the pmd is good. If I turn the key off and on a few times it fires right up and runs perfect. Any suggestions

Load test the batteries one at a time?
I am assuming there are 2 batteries in there.

The information has not helped but you need to tell us more of what you have done and what year of truck, etc.

Pmd has been relocated. Did that last summer. New turbo was put on last winter and the transmission was just rebuilt. I will do the load test on the battery’s and go from there. Thanks for the help guys. I’ll post if i get figured out.

When I turn the key to the on position no lights come on and the voltage is not reading...

No lights mean no power to the ECM. No ECM power = No Start and Run, period. Fuses, Fusible links, and Ignition switch are some of the suspects. Do test the batteries on the terminals you are using as the GM side posts can burn off internally in the battery while the easy to reach and test on top posts are "fine".

Back