• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter cable heat shield on 96 k2500 question

Richard Grant

Reaction score
Hello Will, MrMarty,Warwagon and everyone else. I've been away for a long time but hope everything has leveled out with me now. I'm back to finishing the 96 k2500 Silverado after an almost complete re-wire job. There is a metal heat shield that bolts somewhere around or below the exhaust manifold that is driving me nuts. I can't for the life of me figure out how this thing attaches. I have turned it 12 ways to Sunday and can't make the holes line up with anything on the engine, bell housing or frame. When I removed the tranny it was just hanging on the starter cable. Can anyone lend support?
I have about 4 hours work left untill I can take it on a test drive. I have some really good plans for this truck but need to repair all problems first.
Thanks guys and I'm really happy to be back with you . Richard .

Hello Will, MrMarty,Warwagon and everyone else. I've been away for a long time but hope everything has leveled out with me now. I'm back to finishing the 96 k2500 Silverado after an almost complete re-wire job. There is a metal heat shield that bolts somewhere around or below the exhaust manifold that is driving me nuts. I can't for the life of me figure out how this thing attaches. I have turned it 12 ways to Sunday and can't make the holes line up with anything on the engine, bell housing or frame. When I removed the tranny it was just hanging on the starter cable. Can anyone lend support?
I have about 4 hours work left untill I can take it on a test drive. I have some really good plans for this truck but need to repair all problems first.
Thanks guys and I'm really happy to be back with you . Richard .
Are you talking about the heat shield between the starter and the block? about 10" long by 3" high? If that is it I can take a pic. tomorrow as I am installing my engine.

Mine is about 4 inches long by maybe 2 inches high. I better say the heat shield is those measurements instead of "Mine is". Don't want people to think I'm bragging you know. It also has a little bit of a crooked bend which in the middle, not much of a croock. AGAIN, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE HEAT SHIELD GUYS!!! Thank you sir, a picture of your heat shield may point me in the right direction and I would really appreciate it if you could do that. Have a great evening, Richard.

I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about, I have never seen what you described.

That almost sounds like the heat shields for the glow plugs on # 4 &6 cylinders. I can take a pic of those as well.

Are they a 4" x 1"tube with a flat plate with 2 holes about 4" apart attached at an angle?

There are 2 of them, they shield the wires going to #4 & #6 glow plugs. They attach to the exh studs and have nuts to secure them. I'll take some pics.

Sorry buddy, I forgot to addine is a gas job. If you will please post a pic. of what you have. Long story behind this truck. Thanks again for your help, Richard .

Well crap Richard, what I would show you would be of no use.

I just assumed it was a 6.5 diesel.

i should be able to get my hands on a 95 and 96 today when I get off work. The guy that I pick up every morning uses them as his daily drivers. I’ll see what I can come up with. I’ll take some pictures for you If the heat shields are still on the trucks.

Thank y'all for the help!!. This poor truck has suffered at the hands of every jack-leg in the state. I purchased the truck from a shop for what was owed on it ( $1000.00 ). It is a nice looking truck outside and inside and also has both front and rear drive shafts with a newly remaned transfer case. The new driv li should have told me how rough the truck had been treated.
Thanks again for everybody jumping in to help on this truck. Also thanks for not making me feel real stupid at times. Richard

Here are some pics, they aren't very good. It bolts to the bottom 2 bell housing bolts

Attachments

• IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 9
Well now, that gives me another place to turn this thing 88 different ways. Man you have certainly helped me out. I will try to finish that part and the exhaust tomorrow. I've got to complete at least 2 so I can park something else in the garage.
I do appreciate the time and effort you put in to help with the truck of many parts. I am going to put a pictorial up sometime soon describing my new electrical system on this truck. I can't wait for the comments when everybody sees and reads it.
Again thank you buddy, maybe I can return the favor some day. Richard

Back