• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stall - No Start

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
Man!!! Just when I have time to replace the IP on my suburban, my son was driving the Sierra and it stalled. When he tried to start it the starter clicked once then nothing. It appeared to have full battery power, no dimmed lights. The starter is less then a year old. I'm thinking grounds but why would it stall once it is running. The starter doesn't keep it running once it is started.

Lost total battery connectivity some where along the lines.
Check the fusible links, be sure that the cable at the starter is clean and firm.

Sorry guy's! the Sierra is a 6.5 diesel. I think it is the starter. I just took a screw driver to jump it at the starter and it just clicked. I also check all the connections and they are all tight. I'm thinking it is the starter but that shouldn't have caused it to stall would it have?

Sorry guy's! the Sierra is a 6.5 diesel. I think it is the starter. I just took a screw driver to jump it at the starter and it just clicked. I also check all the connections and they are all tight. I'm thinking it is the starter but that shouldn't have caused it to stall would it have?

If You have a multi meter, check the battery voltage at the starter terminal. If it is low, remove the neg. cable from one battery then check the voltage of both batteries independent of each other. could be that the alternator quit putting out and run down the batteries, or, one bad battery will spoil the whole bunch. LOL

A bad starter wont cause the engine to die. A Bad connection can.
Don’t just tighten, remove- clean and reinstall the battery cables. And yeah, what power do the batteries have?
Fairly common is the battery cables get corroded, the alternator cant charge through the corrosion, so the voltage drops and now the fuel shutnoff solenoid can’t stay open causing engine to shut off. Then not enough amps to crank starter.

Also a faulty ignition switch can do the same thing. There is some kind of red flag about 1995 ignition switches...

There is no corrosion on the batteries or the cables on either end. I will clean them and retighted everything. I was kind of thinking the ignition switch initially but wouldn't jumping it with a screw driver at the starter eliminate the ignition switch? If it turns over jumping it but not with the key then It would most likely be the ignition switch, right?

I just checked the batteries and they were both at 25% and 35%. I'm thinking alternator now. I will have the batteries tested tomorrow at autozone after I charge them. I would have noticed for sure if I were driving when it happened. My teenage son was driving with his brother and friends not paying attention to the lights or gauges when they were driving. When I got to them last night all the lights were bright so I didn't think it was the batteries or alternator. I'll see tomorrow.

Just charged both batteries and cleaned and tightend every connection and still the same result. I think the starter may be stuck. It's under warranty so I'll swap it out tomorrow. It still doesn't tell me why it stalled. It could have been a bad connection and a bad starter.

Usually with a bad starter, there will be one solid sounding click, or clunk when the switch is turned to start position.
If there is a bad battery or a low voltage condition, when the key is turned to start, there will be a fairly rapid click-click-click-click for as long as the key is held in the start position, or the solenoid is jumped across.

Usually with a bad starter, there will be one solid sounding click, or clunk when the switch is turned to start position.
If there is a bad battery or a low voltage condition, when the key is turned to start, there will be a fairly rapid click-click-click-click for as long as the key is held in the start position, or the solenoid is jumped across.

It was a solid click.

I had my son pull it out while I was installing an IP in my suburban. He decided to go hiking with friends and I ran into an issue with the IP install so now I have time to do the starter.

I put the new one in and still the same. I recorded it so you guys can hear it. It is a loud click/clank the first 2 or 3 then it got softer. I'm wondering if the engine seized up. I checked the oil and it is full.

Back