• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stack question

FactoryMX

Mile High
Reaction score
this may be a stupid question, but how come most of the pick up trucks i see with stacks dont need a flap on top. What happens when it rains and snows and stuff gets in there?

They do need something for a raincap however it is not necessary.

As long as the exhaust doesnt lead straight into the turbo a raincap isnt completely necessary however it does prevent water from settling in spots.

However if your like most people and drive your truck every day the snow and water gets blown out right away and never has time to form rust.

The snow and water just make a mess when you blow it out though because it carries soot particles with it and these run down the stack and stick to the paint.

A lot of people will put some sort of a jug over the stack at night. I have a windshield washer fluid bottle that I use.

my neighbor has stacks and he just said it blows some crap put at first and then its fine. Some people will drill a small drain hole in the 90* pipe under the bed so that water can drain out.

thats actually not a bad idea putting a little drain hole i would probably put some jug over it if i get a set

With the way mine is set up all of the water settles in the elbow. Im not worried about drilling a hole as too small of a hole will get plugged and too big of a hole will leak out the black smoke and look bad IMO.

If I ever need to replace my elbow its on $45 and since everything is held togther with seal clamps it will come off very easy.

The jug works good for me.

i used to spray the insides out w/ a pressure washer and neve have any issues.

i wash my exhaust with a pressure washer also and get inside the tip a little, and thats just a regular 5" exhaust with 6" tip

I figured over time it would get plugged with soot. I guess I could crawl under there and stick something in it to clean it out though.

I guess when it comes down to it I just dont want to go out and take the time and effort to drill the hole. hehe.

I have noticed at school though, when I start up my truck there is usually a treat in there for me, pop cans, candy wrappers, peoples homework, etc. etc.

When i had stacks on my 6.5 if there was a possibility of water or something in them i would take iteasy till i got moving and then nail it in 3rd gear and everything that was in them would blow out, the trick was that the truck was moving fast enough that it would be out from under the falling soot water or whatever was inside at the time and wouldn't get on the truck. Not so good for the car following too close behind though.:D:pound:

I figured over time it would get plugged with soot. I guess I could crawl under there and stick something in it to clean it out though.

I guess when it comes down to it I just dont want to go out and take the time and effort to drill the hole. hehe.

I have noticed at school though, when I start up my truck there is usually a treat in there for me, pop cans, candy wrappers, peoples homework, etc. etc.

lol people actually do that thats fuked up

Back