• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

spin on water pump shaft/ bolt

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So what I'm looking for is the center shaft with the threaded end. I want to be able to put it in my lathe so I would like it to not be bent during disassembly. Obviously I would pay for shipping.
Thanks

i have the fan and pump. doesn't look like either part will come off without destroying the host.

as both parts are still good but not being used.

So it looks like from your pics the male thread is part of the pulley and the shaft is pressed into it.
I guess I need to amend this to say I'm looking for the shaft and pulley. Thanks for the heads up DJ. Don't really want to pay for shipping for the rest of the cast iron if I can avoid it.

What does the fanclutch look like your planning on? Can you press off the threaded part of the waterpump and machine work the shaft?

Before Leroy announced he was already in testing, I was looking at machining down the waterpump shaft to accept the same a/c clutch on my truck now. Of course machining the pump shaft in place would not be an easy task.

Looks exactly the same just bigger nut. I need to machine a bushing. Wiring should be the same too. I'll have to turn down the fan on it as it's currently 24".

Duramax uses the same setup of the threads on the pulley of the idler. Thought you were trying to use a powerstroke clutch?

4500 with the Dmax has an electric fan clutch as well . Don't know if that is an option or not .

The 08-09 lmm 4500/5500 kodiaks used an electric fan clutch. Also the 08+ duramax vans used an ev fan clutch with the 36x2.0 thread, and used the 21" fan blade. And the 2011+ lml's used an ev clutch, but they also have a huge blade with a very large center hub area(probably wouldn't leave alot of blade by the time you cut one down).

Don't remember the year but Ferm is probably close . I didn't think I would cut a fan blade down but would rather make a ring adapter to mount the smaller blade .

Zombie thread...
Did you ever do this one or just go to that electric unit and drop this part of it?

The reason I ask is I am in need of a dead spin on fanclutch or two for chopping up, I don't think this will hold...
IMG_2607.JPG

Spin on waterpump Hmmwv fanclutch. All electric would be nice, but I can get bolt on hmmwv parts for so cheap as takeoffs. And the fact that if it fails it engages the fan makes it appealing to risk the used parts- so I can save my millions- haha. It would be much more complicated to fit it to a truck. But a regular electric fan control device and a solenoid (just like the ones already on my ctis), and a used hose& fitting take off from hmmwv.

Last edited:
I think my fan clutch is still in my scrap pile. I can check tommorrow. It'll be rusty though as it will have been sitting outside in our liquid sunshine of Florida.

That would be appreciated.
If I can get ahold of 3 or 4, I can chop them up differently to figure the best method.

Back