• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Speedometer and emergency brake light

Kane13

Reaction score
starter went out on my 1994 Chevy 3500 4x4. Got pulled home while being pulled home the speedometer worked. Replaced the starter and now Speedometer doesn’t work the emergency brake light is on and transmission isn’t shifting. Replaced the speed sensor on the transfer case and replaced the VSSB behind the glove box. Need help guys

Have you checked trans fluid. Does it Smell burnt. Hook up a scanner and see if there are any codes stored for the trans.

Welcome to The Truck Stop.

These guys will get you going again.

Yes it is. The speedometer isn’t working and the transmission won’t shift out of second

I’ve looked over all the connections ohm the speed sensor all the way to the VSSB have checked all the fuses. I’m at a loss.

That’s what I’m thinking but I have to find it. Both grounds on the bell housing is still hooked up. If you know of another ground close to the transmission harness I would like to know where its at

First thought is a pinched wire in the heat shield around the starter. I know 4x4 wires go through there as well as the main power. Insulation likes to fall off main power and burn it to the ground.

Take apart grounds esp for batteries and clean. Check positive conections too.

Pull codes.

There is a lot of fusiable links on the firewall that can break with age. 1994 may be different than the 1993 I have.

Check transfer case oil level and condition. I don't know if there is a rear oil pump in it. Possible damage from towing with the drive shaft in? This damage messing with speed sensor?

The harness that runs thru the heat shield on the passenger side had bare wires I took it out and fixed those wires that were messed up. Didn’t fix it

Double check your repair of the wires.
Undo, clean and reinstall every electrical connection you touched doing the starter. As not-fun as it is, might need to pull the starter out to thoroughly examine the area. Follow the harness up, inspecting WITH PATIENCE. A small rubbed short will not be easy to see. You aren't looking for the big boulder, you are looking for a pebble.

Remove, clean, and reinstall all of the battery cable connections.

A problem like this (obviously electrical) that pops during a repair was created by or partial damage was finalized by the work that was done.

Do not start throwing any parts at it. That will only cost money, time, and can only complicate this.

I know that the parking brake light on with transmission stuck in 2nd commonly go together. When I had that problem it was a bad electrical connection in a plug down by the transmission / front axle.

Maybe crossed a wire or broke a wire depending on how you repaired it. Goggles and a headlamp help working there. I hate doing starters... You do have the critical bracket on the starter. PIA but the starter busts the ear of the block off without it.

Back