• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SON OF A BI#*$!

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Guess I'll post up my luck so we can have a duramax problem post around here. I've picked up a slight vibration in my BURB just off idle. I noticed it when I bumped my idle speed back up to 680 from 600 trying to make the A/C work better in traffic. When I dropped the idle speed back down, I noticed the DREADED haze at night in cars head lights when stopped. Plugged in my V2 and all my balance rates are +/-1.2 EXCEPT #8 is sitting at a consistent -3.8-3.9. So at face value they look good but #8 is borderline, BUT to anybody who's read my write up on corrected balance rates know's, you have to also look at the fuel rate. Well mine is sitting at 6-6.1 at idle. So that means I have to add 2 to my balance rates to get corrected numbers, all of the sudden #8 is sitting at a -5.8-5.9, and I don't have a single injector with a + balance rate.

This is what I get for talking good about the updated sticks a few months back saying how mine were doing great at 70 K miles. I have 7 in spec, but one is a good ways out(it's only being commanded on for 2.1MM3 of flow when it should be commanded on for 8MM3 of flow). So it holds true with an LB7, it's not IF, but WHEN they will go out. For now I bumped my idle speed back up, and played with the timing some to minimize the hazing at night in the headlights, but I gotta get ready to do my injectors. I could go in and do just #8, but I can tell from the balance rates with them ALL being negative, it's only a matter of time for the rest. And with the track record of VCO's, I'll be going back with SAC's next time. Even the wife told me not to do stockers, but to spend the extra for the SAC's in hopes I won't have to do this again in another 70K miles.

So here around Christmas time looks like I will be doing injectors in my BURB this year. Last year it was front end, steering, and brakes. So much for the "TOY" I was looking to build next summer. I had been setting some aside in hopes of getting a 2 door tahoe to build up for a play toy, but that money will now be going to buy a set of 45 over SAC's for the LB7.

That's some tough luck for sure ferm. Who is the goto place for LB7 Injectors now?

Can't win for losing can we Ferman, if it was not for my strict diet and being unable to or not wanting to purchasing and consuming 95-98% of the "junk/stuff" in the grocery stores and what my monthly food bill is I would have one nice truck, oh well....

Sorry to hear, why do you need air in Dec?o_O

He is idling down for the winter when one doesn't need all you can get out of the AC system. AC still has to work even in December!

Perhaps using the LLY crazy fan overdrive ratio may help vs. raising the idle.

For the same money as injectors maybe it's time to go mechanical injection with a Duramax P-Pump. One outfit mentioned to have them: http://columbusdieselsupply.com/performanceproducts.html

The kids are taken care of, but it will destroy dad's toy fund. I was getting ready to pickup a 2 door tahoe to build a toy out of, but $2600 is the cheapest price I've found for the new style SAC nozzles. I'm not willing to roll the dice again on VCO's. This is what I get for talking good about mine, and saying how well they've held up. I had it idled up for summer trying to make the A/C work better(the stock replacement compressor doesn't hold a candle to how cold the SANDEN got at idle), and now that it's cooled off, I dropped it back to 600, and on came the haze. Oh well, I've been drooling wanting a set of the SAC's for a year now. Everybody says even though there 45 overs, they are still close to stock quiet, run pretty clean, so far everybody says there holding up, and most are reporting increases in MPG with them. It's too bad GM didn't see fit to change out there replacements. The LLY+ already use the SAC nozzles, and BOSCH motorsports wouldn't build a VCO injector, so they're building SAC's. LINCOLN has a good price, but Dan's has them beat by about $150 for a set of 8($2600 for 8 injectors, all seals including the cup seals, and lower gaskets VS LINCOLN at $2650, but they don't include the cup seals or lower gaskets). Will probably call Lincoln and see if they will price match. I've dealt with them in the past, and was really happy with them. Supposedly both company's are using S&S for there injectors, just want to go with the one most likely to be there down the road.

The myth is newer ones don't fail, the fact is they fail too. And for me it would be like starting my swap all over again to go to a newer engine. I've seriously considered it, but ALL the wiring would have to start over since mine doesn't use any of the factory plugs at the undethood box. Too much work for me right now. LB7's seem to have very little problems with excess return(unlike lly+, most all those p0087's are injectors returning too much fuel), but the hazing continues to come back. I'm going to try flushing them before I condemn them as a triple dose of power service and a good flogging has brought the rates back closer. So I may luck out and just have some soot caught up in one of the nozzle orifices.

That's exactly what I'm going to do with the LB7...#7 is way out of spec and I can't spend $3000 on injectors right now...

problem is... exergy wants me to pull a known "good" injector along with the bad one when I send back the core for a new 30 over one so they can match it up...so that one injector may end up costing $1k...who knows?

I thought about it, but if I'm going into the covers, I'm going to do them and be done with it. I could probably get away with just doing nozzles with how mine are as I honestly think mine is a problem with 1 or 2 of the orifices not sealing off good because I still have the VCO nozzles, but they want $1K for a set of SAC nozzles. Dan's diesel has the whole set of 8 with install kit and cup seals for $2600 OTD shipped I believe. I knew my time was coming, was just hoping I could break 100K before they started acting up. I may luck out though, I put a triple shot of power service in it with a double dose of 2 stroke and drove it to the dealer to get a bottle of flush, and #8 is already starting to come back down and it's smoothed out some off idle. I hate to admit it, I haven't run any additives in it for awhile now, been lazy lately as I just don't drive it much. Haven't even put 7K miles on it in the last year, and that was including putting over a thousand on it for vacation.

I thought about it, but if I'm going into the covers, I'm going to do them and be done with it. I
#7 would be easy for me...But I'm not going to pay exergy to test the bad injector and a good injector just to sell me a new one...just sell me a new factory 30 over and I'll take my chances with it...

also don't want to just piss away the $285 each I paid for the other 7

#7 would be easy for me...But I'm not going to pay exergy to test the bad injector and a good injector just to sell me a new one...just sell me a new factory 30 over and I'll take my chances with it...

also don't want to just piss away the $285 each I paid for the other 7
Exergy has had ALOT of this going on lately. WAY to many reports of there injectors failing after having just been given clean bills of health for me to run theres. The biggest problem is they won't stand behind them, they all seem to have "contamination" problems.

Exergy has had ALOT of this going on lately. WAY to many reports of there injectors failing after having just been given clean bills of health for me to run theres. The biggest problem is they won't stand behind them, they all seem to have "contamination" problems.

They use to have a great rep.. whos the go to company now?

Back