• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Software vs OS ?

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
Looking at some used software and wanted some input. Says it needs vista or xp, any issues with running it on 7?

So I down loaded a trial version of the newer software that I'm looking at and evidently I need to upgrade my video card. What do I need to know about doing this?

. . . evidently I need to upgrade my video card. What do I need to know about doing this?

Parts is parts :) Video cards are generally like the PC, try to get one that has the most memory and fastest processor; also, it will need to match the physical architecture and OS (ex: 32 bit, 64 bit).

Need to know what kind of socket the current video card uses (presuming video is not integrated on the motherboard (which is common)).

If the current video is on the MoBo, check to see if you have an expansion video slot and figure out what type it is (generally from color of the holder and placement of the 'spacer(s)' among the pins). Otherwise figure out what type of expansion slots are in the PC and get a video card that works with the expansion slots (PCI, PCI-E, etc); from there it is a matter of diabling the onboard video in the BIOS unless you want to run dual monitors.

If the expansion slots are one of the PCI variety, the bigger challenge is to make sure you get the correct card as they are still avaliable, but searches will show lots of PCI-E reusults if you need PCI.

I recently used ratuken (formerly buy.com) to replace a failing PCI video card.

so here's some pics of my video card. can anyone tell me what model/type I need?

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7
Les, if it came out of the Brown slot I believe it's PCI-e. The cream-coloured slots are PCI.

You can also tell from the card connector edge configuration:

rIZRg.jpg

Video-Card-BusType.jpg

one other ? in looking around I see varying bits 32, 64, 128, 256 etc. do I need to match that with my 64 bit OS

So I ended up taking the video card out of my old PC and it worked. While I was in there I noticed I had 4 sticks of ram still in it. I pulled one to compare. They are both dimm but my old PC had 1gb sticks my current one has only 2 but they are 2gb but I have 2 more slots. Can I add the old ones to my current PC and have both 1 and 2gb in at the same time?
42f92c82ba79c0e414748c78010af233.jpg

. . . my old PC . . . While I was in there I noticed I had 4 sticks of ram still in it. I pulled one to compare. They are both dimm but my old PC had 1gb sticks my current one has only 2 but they are 2gb but I have 2 more slots. Can I add the old ones to my current PC and have both 1 and 2gb in at the same time?

If they fit, they will work. One thing to check first is the bus speed of the memory stick / card. (Google the part number for both the old and current PC's memory sticks)

If the memory from the old PC has a faster bus speed, go for it.

If the memory from the old PC has a slower bus speed, it will work, but the MoBo will drop the memory bus speed as a whole to match the speed of the slowest memory stick; so you might actually see a minor slow-down. Also, equally possible is that you might see a minor gain in speed by not relying on the Swap Drive (hard drive as memory) as much.

so another ? my new video card had a pair of wires that plugged into the mother board, any idea what they're for?

Back