• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SnapOn ACT3000 A/C machine

3500GMC

What T F, over
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to buy a gently used A/C recovery machine. It's an older model used for R-12 and it's variants. I read somewhere that it will not handle R134A.

So, two questions.

1. Is this true?
2. If true or not, can I at least use it to draw down a system? As in, does it have a vacuum pump in it?

I figure it would have to be equipped with ports to hook up a manifold set a least, also?

act3000.jpg

I did some digging and from what I could find they say it is OK to convert it so long as it will be a dedicated R-134 machine. Your not legally allowed to use the same machine for different refrigerants. To convert it you will have to replace any rubber seals, O-rings, and hoses to R-134 compatible barrier style hoses and seals. I know my recovery machine doesn't leak down a bit with R-12 or most any other gas, but with R-134 it will bleed down in a day or so. R-134 will seap past most any tiny leak where other gasses will not leak past.

Ah ok the rubber in it would be the deal. I do remember seeing the older systems 'leeching out' the 134a right through the hoses now that you mention it.

And yes, all the stuff I see/own is already retrofitted to the new refrigerant so the machine will be for this.

Back