• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smoke, smoke and more smoke - no power, limp mode?, 45km max, 1500rpm max

rooski

Smoke on the water
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to 6.5Ltd gm. Mine's in a K1500 automatic with EGR.

Here's my (long) first post after reading alot of others....

The Good:
starts beautifully with only a small puff of white (when cold), glow plugs cycle fine, lift pump vibrates and delivers fine (new fuel filter housing top valve will pour out fuel when twisted open and water valve has full flow as well).
Vacuum pump shows 26", waste gate solenoid delivers to turbo up to 15".
Idles smooth as a baby's bottom.

The Bad:
Put it in gear and it starts to run rough. When you try to accelerate it bucks for the first few hundred rpm, then smooths a bit. Will not rev up under load past 1500rpm and will not carry the truck over 45kms/hr. Scanner shows between 80-100% load on engine during acceleration to 45kms. Rattles like a gas job needing a timing adjustment while under the heavy end of the load. If I pull back a bit on the throttle the rattling stops but the truck is still not picking up speed.
Unhook the EGR and it smokes black like a drunken sailor at any response from the throttle while in gear. Otherwise zero smoke with no load unless you pin the throttle then its normal for a diesel.

(With EGR hooked up the smoke is mostly grey instead of the usual black as if it has a ton of unspent fuel going through. Also smells like kerosene when this is done.)

Checked out:
The wastegate opens when vacuum is present and you cannot budge it by hand when activated.
Delete the EGR from vacuum cycle and the wild bucking stops when in gear at stand still, does not buck at all as acceleration is attempted without EGR hooked up. Still will not accelerate and acts like its in limp mode.

No codes present, but history showed P0236 which is the wastegate solenoid. New solenoid two days ago. No change. Looked new anyway but someone had the vac lines on backwards according to the sticker on the fan shroud.

Turbocharger spins freely with no side to side play of any significance. A good finger spin (like spinning a top) at the center shaft and the wheel spins over at least 5-6 revolutions. No lumpiness or grind feeling etc. No excessive oil at mouth of turbo intake air inlet when the hose is removed.

All wire connections have been unplugged and inspected found good, all connections and harnesses have been jostled while engine is running causing zero change, so no broken wires suspected. All grounds have been removed, cleaned and retightened. Batteries are brand new and fully charged with aletrnator charging as it should.

Items of Note:
Just bought the truck with the current problem. Previous owner did nothing but buy a new truck.
The PMD is still pump mounted.
Connections to PCM are solid and clean with good solid mounting for the PCM itself.
Has new fuel filter.
Full tank of fuel (new and clean)
Although the lift pump vibrates and sends a good fuel stream I have only checked with the engine running, not with key on without being started. Possible lift pump issue sucking air? Fittings were loose when I got it home and I cleaned and tightened. I noticed the lift pump makes the same noise all the time. My diesel mowers do not once the pump pressures up the delivery fuel, then they quiet down when they reach their pressure limit. The one on my truck acts like it never reaches its pressure limit so I wonder if it is sucking air somewhere. I think I have eliminated the "bent pickup in tank" threat with having a full tank of fuel (not sure if this is correct but logic tells me so).
Ambient temperature is 65 degrees C. Intake Air temp maxes out at 50 degrees C on scanner after a painfully slow 3 mile drive. Coolant temperature did not exceed 80 degrees C during the drive.
Truck has new air filter and all tubing is clear of obstruction.
Not sure about the catalytic convertor. Plugged ???

Maybe someone can read through all this and point me in a reasonable direction. I am not interested in changing to a mechanical wastegate or anything else that takes away from factory setup, so please no responses of that nature.

Thanks in advance for your help !
:skep:

Thanks ak. I was think catalytic convertor might be plugged off.

I heard PMD causes stalling when they are beginning to fail. Mine does not stall. I do plan on buying a remote mount PMD anyway and leaving the pump one mounted as a backup.

Anyone else have anything on this problem?
I tried unhooking the waste gate actuator arm and moving the lever back and forth to see how loose/tight it is and to se if I could hear the gate clinking open and shut.
It moves about a quarter turn total rotation. Don't know if that's enough or not. May remove the turbo (or part of turbo) to check if it is in fact opening and closing all the way without obstruction.

X2 on plugged exhaust. How is the air filter? She isn't getting air.

another strange thing started to happen. the wg solenoid allowed no vacuum at idle; wg lever all the way down.
now, and only some of the time, at idle i am getting about 8-10" vacuum to the wg. not sure why it would do this.

You have either a bad vac pump or cracked lines or bad selenoid or a combination of them

Vac pump still has 26" coming out of it. vac lines are all new. could solenoid have crapped after an hour of run time?? just installed a new one the other day and ran it 6 miles and about an hour's worth of idle and test. hmmmm

possible hoses are reversed?
The old one looked like the hoses were crossed according to the fan shroud sticker so when I installed the new one I put them on as per the diagram.

The turbo line comes out between two solenoids now and the pump line comes in closest to the front of the truck.
This correct or reversed? Diagram shows it as correct, but its only a guide pic maybe? the pump line is on the port with the brass orifice in it.

Not sure if it's right or not....

I am so glad I dont have a turbo!!!! As a newbie its all I can handle with the grounds, grounds, grounds, its all about them grounds!!!! Have I mentioned that woodchuck chuckin wood lately????

and mechanical injection...and HD rather than LD emissions. and 2wd. only way it could get simpler is with a manual transmission and a/c delete!

to the OP, do you plan on converting to f-code intake? whats the plan for exhaust? a lot of members have been mostly happy with the diamond eye system.

and mechanical injection...and HD rather than LD emissions. and 2wd. only way it could get simpler is with a manual transmission and a/c delete!

to the OP, do you plan on converting to f-code intake? whats the plan for exhaust? a lot of members have been mostly happy with the diamond eye system.

I'm considering the egr delete or f intake. exhaust is factory but most of it had to have been replaced a couple years ago so i will likely leave it except the cat. the cat will be cut out this weekend unless there is a sensor of some kind on it. if there is a sensor it will get a replacement cat.
what's the OP?

Boy you are new at this :)

Need to spend some time in the TRL for details, quick primer though low power & lots of smoke = low boost, gauges are the friend here EGT & Boost @ minimum.

For quick test since you say 26" Hg from vac pump, plumb direct to the WG actuator on turbo and see if that holds turbo shut on test drive, yes you'll code but smoke should clear and power should be back toi a point, you'll probably limit to max fuel of 50 mm in limp mode provided you have healthy lift pump delivery. Mitey vac test WG actuator to make sure the diaphragm is working bad bellows there wont keep the WG shut under load but may allow it to stay shut @ idle power, ergo the need for gauges so you will know what boost is when driving.

WG should always be kept closed that is how boost is made with the GM turbo, when less boost is called for vac is bled off so less drive energy ported to the turbo slowing it for less boost, again deep detail for function is in the TRL.

PCM vs APP position vs IP & engine sensor feedback used to control fuel delivery for the 6.5, it is still a hydromechanical IP but puter inputs to fuel solenoid/PCM to command the delivery of IP to injectors which a wholly mechanical. 100K miles on injectors is "normal" life recommended could be a worn injector or 2 but lets confirm boost and lift pump delivery is where it needs to be.

Lift pump from tank to filter mgr to IP to injector is simple fuel path, unused fuel returned to tank, lift can purr fine but still be weak in total delivery at load (details how to check in TRL)

Gnds-Gnds-Gnds lifeblood of the electrical puter controlled 6.5 system again TRL has great info on that account, I know as I put it there :)

TRL is here http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?13960-Sticky-6.2-and-6.5-Technical-Library also at top of main 6.5 forum

Back