• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smoke and miss at idle

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Got the engine dropped back into my 1993.
New slugs, rings, and glaze breaking on bores. New injectors rebuilt by a good shop. New timing chain.

Swapped on known good 6.5 heads. (6.2 bottom end.)

Started and has a miss and shake to it only at idle. Warmed it up and ran it around town for an hour and still idles back to a shake and miss. Starts to smoke blue. Revving it up has the smoke and miss stop.

Added some timing to it and it runs better but still does this some. Timing lines appear to be worthless on this engine as it needed some advance from line to line when I first got it with a tight chain.

Ideas?

IP has issues.

x2.

Either worn out or water damaged. Been there with my K-5s IP(water damage). Replaced another IP on a 83 Jimmy that was just worn out from age(engine had over 300K on it). Both had the same symptoms of blue smoke and overall crappy running.

This pump turned all the way up appears to be weaker than the one I pulled out. Injectors and GP timer and ? compression made it a possible bad unit. These have been corrected so not much left.

After what I went through to drop this SOB IP in I am thinking a phosphor grenade ought to fix it.

One day it may start easy.

This pump turned all the way up appears to be weaker than the one I pulled out. Injectors and GP timer and ? compression made it a possible bad unit. These have been corrected so not much left.

After what I went through to drop this SOB IP in I am thinking a phosphor grenade ought to fix it. One day it may start easy.

a handfull of 3'8 nuts in the intake will do me thinks.Or a couple hose clamps. ;)

Yep, sounds like DB2 death to me. In all the 6.2's I have worked on and I have worked on a few, I have never yet seen the lines line up. They almost always end up about a matchbook cover to the drivers side. Try advancing the timing even more. The advance could be stuck.

She is running better but still smokes on start up and shakes at idle from time to time. Won't start easy hot without glows. Then pours out black and white smoke. 300 miles and so far it runs good at speed.

She starts easier than before cold with the new rebuilt injectors. So we are making forward progress.

This pump is a 1995 6.2 pump. I will go back to the other pump I swapped out and see what happens.

Back