• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Slippery 4l80E

Just my opinion.. but if you aren't familiar with rebuilding a tranny, don't start learning with the one you depend on to get around day to day...
I'm no tranny mechanic by any means, others will be able to give better advice as far as complexity of the job...
But if you can find one in a junk yard for a few hundred bucks, that's what I'd do and then rebuild/ have rebuilt, the original tranny as time and experience allow...

Depends where you are. There are some places that members here can say is good.

There is a million 4l80e applications and people are forever asking for help trying to figure out how to make them work. IMO take yours to a good shop in your area and have it rebuilt. If you work it hard, then there is always upgrade parts to make it better but of course is more expense.

Yes, one of the sad shortcomings of the 4l80e is there are so many different variations and flavors that are not interchangeable without major mods. best thing is to have YOURS rebuilt and not get an exchange rebuilt one.

Yes, one of the sad shortcomings of the 4l80e is there are so many different variations and flavors that are not interchangeable without major mods. best thing is to have YOURS rebuilt and not get an exchange rebuilt one.
This I agree with.

I gave up swapping auto trans after the 700R4's

After wasting time and money on an education.

The 1995 Tahoe got a new GM crate trans with a good factory warranty. - maybe 3 years 100,000 miles?

It's a wonder she was able to drive it to the shop. The tail we as broken.
I think it all be started as a bad ujoint.

I was curious if there was a good/better place to get one in a crate and how much? I would thinbk somewhere with good QC would be worth a bit more$?
I bought from the dealership.
I've never been much of a fan of buying off the shelf, rebuilt stuff.
With the exception of some rebuilt stuff available from dealerships. With a factory part number.

I'd do a lot of research and check the bad reviews on anything you might buy.

There's a bunch of fake reviews out there anymore. Both good and bad

What's the consensus on ordering one from places like Aamco or Summit racing? even getting a performance one from Summit. I know both places are getting them from a chain company but I really haven't heard anything good or bad about the two.

Back