• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shop aircompressor thermal shut off

Will L.

Reaction score
I have a little horizontal 110v and a nice upright 220v compressors.
The other day the little one was in use and didnt get turned off. A quick disconnect end failed and was leaking air. Didn't hear it running, but my sister was here and said she smelled something. Compressor body was over 500 degrees.

No damage done, but I heard of fires starting from it. Got me to wondering- has anyone here ever installed a thermal shut off onto the older compressors?

No, the electric motor is only 15 years old, the compressor itself is from the 70's (my Dad bought it).
So the motor was barely even warm. Belt driven. The compressor head was crazy hot. I would estimate 8 hours running non stop. The power cord was maybe 5 degrees hotter than ambient, if that.

Its been a great compressor. Campbell Housfield made in USA. The motor only failed becasue my brother in law dropped an ibeam on it damaging the case. Its a 3/4 hp on it now, dont remeber what the original was. Might have been 1/2.

I guess with the heat the compressor had, its due an oil change.

and maybe rings. woodstoves sometimes have a thermo switch to control the fan might have to wire it different to control the motor, ie nc or no

I been at this a while. Nothing burned down and the motor ran and didnt overheat, didnt catch on fire. You forgot to unplug or shut a valve off, good reminder as it is. I forget a valve on occasion, normally nothing bad happens and shutting them in is the best thing can be done. Dont let one event spook u 2 bad, keep paying attn to the general condition best you can and dont delay repairs on used equipment. I try not to change too much to factory made controls if I can help it.
I used one of those things in a neighbors garage the other day and unplugged it before I left.

Back