• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shims or Gaskets

I'm sure it wouldn't work for me,my cometics even leaked,somebody needs to make a real head gasket for the 6.5,I might try cometic again but have the build them like I want,with several more layers ,for more conformity and less compression.

If you call Commetic and order a set of head gaskets of .066 or thicker they use a 5 layer gasket rather than 3. Which is also .021 thicker than stock for lower compression. They also claim they are fine for high boost levels but I'll let you verify that one cause I dont wanna take the chance.

Mine were 3 layer, they custom made them a little thicker than the standard ones they sell,5 layer would probably seal better,so far my solicor victor reinz is the best one I tried, its very thin around .040,and has a solid core,dont know if I have head lift or not, it has arp studs. I thought about oringin the head or block,but don't know about having a wire on top of wire,you'd think when tightend down it would push the head gasket wire fire ring aside,maybe if I precompressed the head gasket it would work.

We really need to come up with something, mine started leaking again,I think my heads are lifting at 60 psi boost. Most machine shops don't want to oring the prechambers, I guess it could be edm machined. An auto machine shop can oring the block,dont know if the available gaskets will work with orings,might have to go with copper, then you have water sealing problems,also considering fire rings, that sit in a grove in the block and a matching grove in the head and remove the fire ring from a set of felpros.

I dont think that much short of more bolt holes is gonna help you at 60psi. But o-ringing the block maybe. Also look into step decking I have heard good things about that holding tons of boost.

Is the issue w/ copper head gaskets & sealing water gallery ports mostly due to design differences? Or surface condition/smoothness? Meaning a block & head designed/surfaced to seal w/ OEM composition gaskets?

Reason I ask is they seem to seal fine on the ag/tractor engines designed to use copper head gaskets. Yet, I know they don't always seal the cooling passages well in many aftermarket applications.

Don't know, but I've run into having a head & block deck resurfaced to a different smoothness spec (can't recall the correct term, but you get the idea) when going to a copper hg.

The one time I used a copper head gasket the manufacturer specified a spray of some sort I don't remember now. Never had any problems though

I'll look into copper gaskets and see if any one will oring the head.

When you deck the block or head you dont deck it as much around the cylinders causing it to make higher clamping force around the cylinder bores.

That sounds like a good idea, but I think my heads are lifting, so I don't know if that would be enough , isky cams sells a block oringing tool,but Im not sure of the wire size.

High output race engines dont use gaskets at all, seeing as they are usually the most common failure point. they just surface them to exacting flatness and bolt em down. In this way I would expect O-ring grooves and O-rings to work much better than gaskets. However I dont know about temperature changes and how it would react with different metal types in the heads and block.

I talked to Gasket Works USA, and they can make me some copper gaskets, but it still should be oringed all this is going to cost alot. I'm thinking about buying some copper and making my own gaskets.

Back