• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

School me on tablets and netbooks please.

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all,

my sister's laptop died, and she need internet. she is convinced she wants a tablet or a netbook, and may still get a laptop in the future, but wants something quick and easy and cheap for facebook, pintrest, church related activities, if they have an app for that. :) and whatever arts stuff early sisters in their 20s do.

She would then be getting a good laptop for taxes and other things that require a full keyboard with a number pad.

So, I need a crash course on tablets, and where the best price is for one. Wal-mart was her first stop, and I shot her down on that pretty quick. :) are Amazon and newegg recommended for tablet shopping?

also, Apple is going to be a hard sell. :)

I wanted a real keyboard so I went with a chromebook. It's great for browsing and you can do plenty of file sharing and modifying if it's on an external drive or stick. If I had younger hands I'd probably get one of the newer combination deals with either keyboard or tablet operation

Sent from my SCH-I535

The new Samsung pro looks really nice: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-P9000ZKVXAR

For the money, most will agree the Nexus 7 (or 10) is hard to beat: http://www.google.com/nexus/10/

I type this on a nexus 7 2013 as we speak.

Do not get a nexus 7 if she is not tech savvy. Many, many, many MANY touchscreen issues. They're cheap compared to others, but it shows.

I'm rooted and running custom touchscreen drivers and still get phantom and double touches. I've tried all the hardware fixes too.

The touchscreeen issues are very common also. There are reams and reams of returns because of it. Most often Asus just wipes the is and sends it back blank, problems still there.

Head over the xda-developers.com if you want to know more on the nexus 7 Flo (2013) problems.

Its a nice little tab, better than the crapple mini for sound and display. Movies look great on it (for a 7 inch tablet). Android os is much preferable to crapple imho.

But it can frustrate the hell out of you sometimes because of the touchscreen. I actually put it down and walk away sometimes.

I deal with it since my tab was free, won it in a contest. I wouldn't pay money for it with these issues though....

I use only windows for my desktop, tablet, and phone...

Recently got a dell venue 8 pro for $200 that is just right for what it is. The great thing about it is that it uses full windows 8 so you get the tablet experience with apps and such, and you can install and run any regular windows program as well.

Sent from my Windows Phone

I'll only use the galaxy tablets. Have a bigger full sized one, and a newer smaller one.
Haven't had a single problem with either. Can also run all the office type apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'll only use the galaxy tablets. Have a bigger full sized one, and a newer smaller one.
Haven't had a single problem with either. Can also run all the office type apps.

Do you have a Samsung smartphone too? Any problems with GPS or being able to hear anything on the earpiece or loudspeaker from either one?

Correct. S6 active.
Haven't had any of those problems.
Hardly if ever use the speaker phone, but the times I have, it worked.

I have a S3 right now with a lifeproof case and I can barely hear anything out of the earpiece. Never had that issue with the iPhone 4s and case...

And my gps loves to cut out at the most inopportune moments. Usually in the last 20-30 minutes of a drive to someplace I've never been before. It'll show me an hour away sometimes...

I'd read somewhere that Samsung Galaxy's have had issues with sound and gps, but that may be true with any phone...

Support is minimal with an S3 at this point. I have excellent microphone and speaker performance with the S6 when compared to the prior S3. I did have pretty good performance from that one with the Ottebox Defender though.

Ah, yeah the s3 is pretty old now. Lol
When my wife had the lifeproof or otterbox case on a iPhone 5s, there were some mic/speaker issues. Have never liked the way apple navigation works. Always takes us somewhere else. I stick to Google maps now.

Back