• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

scan tool

J-ME

Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what scan tool will read 96 6.5 offset timing . i have a cheap scan tool i have hooked up and it will read everything but timing. I have just rebuilt the engine and it seems to be a bit sluggish on the hills other than that it runs fine.

Car code which may not be available anymore or a Tech2. The snap on mt2500 will read it but is reported not to be accurate

Another possibility is AutoEngenuity or the knock-off Tech-II. Both are about the same price.

Advantage of the Tech-II is that it has a wider ability to work with the GM systems (IIRC, up to around 2012 vehicles).

Advantage of the AutoEngenuity is that it has an ability to work with all the major automotive vehicles by way of purchasing software updates.

Only downside to AutoEngenuity or the Tech-II is that shipping to Australia will probably cost a bit more than to those of us in the US.

The tech 2 clone is a good bit cheaper than autoenginuity is here in the states(under $300 vs roughly $450). Another option is if you're computer savvy is to look into one of the many elm327 based cables on amazon. Vcxdiag makes one that imitates the tech 2, but works through your laptop. And there is many others that are much cheaper if you're willing to look for some open source based scan utilities. The obdlink sx cable is a recommended cable for GM.

Back