• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rumor

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
GM has restarted its light duty 4.5 DMAX. They are discussing of putting it in the 1500 and 2500 trucks.

I got this info out of the September 2010 Motor Trend magazine on page 22.

This would be awesome if it is true. :thumbsup:

I don't think we'll ever see one, but I would buy one for my daily driver in a heartbeat!

I'll believe it when I see it....in a truck, idling, at the dealership. GM is too busy trying to get the most horsepower out of the current DMAX instead concentrating on things that really matter. Leave the power adders to the aftermarket. GM, what a bunch of marooons.

The problem is that there's too much pressure from Ford and Dodge (mostly Ford) to just sit back and let the Duramax's power become the lowest in the market. That doesn't help sales any...

The problem is that there's too much pressure from Ford and Dodge (mostly Ford) to just sit back and let the Duramax's power become the lowest in the market. That doesn't help sales any...

Exactly! Why would you want GM not to keep up the current market? We would still be in 6.5's if they didn't (not saying thats a bad thing :D)

Exactly! Why would you want GM not to keep up the current market? We would still be in 6.5's if they didn't (not saying thats a bad thing :D)

In my opinion a diesel pickup with 400 HP & 700 + ft lbs of torque at 1600 RPMs is enough! If you need to haul/tow shit that requires more than that, you need a medium duty truck. What will drive the market...IMHO... is MORE people driving diesels. It's already tough enough to buy a pickup with a 10 grand price premium to get the diesel that hardly gets better MPG than a gasser. I think that a lot of folks would rather have a truck/SUV but are not gonna spring for the mega thousands for the diesels or the 2500/3500 trucks. If GM built trucks/SUVs with a diesel at HALF the current power levels, but it got mpg in the high 20s or 30s, and would hold together for 200,000 miles with only normal maintenance, it wouldn't matter if Ford or Dodge made 10 more horsepower with their big diesels. Besides, that's what EFILive is for....:D

And, speaking of the 6.5, how much were guys towing with that thing? It had what, 190HP and 380 ft lbs of torque? That's EXACTLY what needs to be the optional engine for ALL trucks/SUVs under the 2500 size. At this power level any 1500, SUV, or crossover would be a great vehicle to own. And, with modern technologies and transmissions (6-speeds) fuel mileage would be spot on. Not to mention how great it would be if GM actually did develope a detuned or smaller DMAX. But nooooooo, we gotta spend another billion dollars to find 30 more horsepower so we can say we got the most. Purty soon you reach the point of diminishing returns. In my opinion we are there, let the aftermarket supply the fix for all the horsepower junkies....not that THAT is a bad thing...:D

Hey, to each his own. I see both sides, but understand that some people WILL switch to Ford on a whim b/c it has more power. It's like during elections. You know you have the die-hards, you have to have a reason to have the un-decideds go to your side. Whether it's more torque or lower taxes, people still work the same way. It's called incentive. ;)

It's all about the mighty dollar. Trouble is those in charge don't always have the correct answer to get the most for their company. There's also rules and such that companies must follow that we aren't always totally aware of. Some, or most I bet, of which are probably under the table type crap.

In sticking with the chevy lineup in cars and XUV's look at all the different engine's. I know they are trying to maximize efficiency for each one, but good grief does the Malibu and Impala really need different engines?? Only about 100lbs difference in curb weight PLUS what happened to the mileage to the Impala? My 11 year old 3.8 engine gets better mileage than the new 3.5 OR 3.9 and is equal to the 2.4 in the Malibu. Why should I buy a new Impala and loose mileage? My car now has plenty of power and I would argue that where I live is probably one of the tougher areas for cars needing power to deal with all the hills. To me I see a lot of resources and money wasted on R&D for all these engines when they could really only get by with 3 or 4. Convert some of that resource to small diesel engine R&D.

Rambling, I know. I think they would see HUGE $$$$$ profits by putting an INEXPENSIVE small diesel in the XUV's and SUV's that doesn't have bragging rights about being the most powerful, but would get 40+ MPG. I'd love to see it happen, but I doubt it ever will. I'm not going to pay an extra 5k just for an engine, I don't care what sales pitch they give me.

They need to do this to up the mileage figures for the whole GM line, as the automakers must meet guidelines set forth by the government.

GM needs to be the first one to put a diesel in a half ton truck. A half ton that gets 30 MPG or better would sale like hotcakes.

GM needs to be the first one to put a diesel in a half ton truck. A half ton that gets 30 MPG or better would sale like hotcakes.
I agree. This is the point I'm trying to make. Don't make the current diesels bigger, make more diesels to appeal to a wider market. The more people that are driving diesels the more refining and development goes on. Fuel mileage is what's gonna bring the otherwise common commuter to the world of diesels, but this common commuter doesn't want a 7000 lb truck to go back and forth to work.

Government needs to get out of our lives!

They need to do this to up the mileage figures for the whole GM line, as the automakers must meet guidelines set forth by the government.

Why the hell should we let the fed tell us what has to be done? We should be telling them to get out of the way so can compete! Screw the government. Now that GM is Government Motors we will probably see the Silverado renamed the Barak and it will have a windmill plus the optional solar panel. Something else to be made the laughing stock over. Yikes.

I'm just stating the obvious facts here. They run the show. THe government set up the parameters that car makers must meet. If you think you can get them to change their minds, feel free to do so.

Back