• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires June 20, 2020

RockAutoLLC

Vendor
Reaction score
5% Discount Code: 6221DD3841F635

Expires: June 20, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

RockAuto.com is an online auto parts store founded in Madison, Wisconsin in 1999 by the Taylor family. RockAuto.com ships thousands of auto parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers worldwide.

The RockAuto.com Catalog includes vehicles from the early 1900s to today, making it easy to find parts no matter what you drive.

Prices on RockAuto.com are reliably low every day! Order online at www.RockAuto.com 24 hours a day. Parts are conveniently delivered to your door. Need help finding parts or placing an order? Visit our Help pages for further assistance!

Husker6.5

135' diagonal 16:9HD, 25KW sound!
Reaction score
Thanks, @RockAutoLLC ! The timing belt just broke this afternoon on my daughter's '97 2.2L Camry. Will be ordering a timing kit from you this evening!

Husker6.5

Reaction score
Well, a computer data glitch prevented me from ordering last night (using her card info to order through me and accidentally using my billing address instead of hers in the pre-filled information kicked the order back, but the transaction was still pending against her debit card and we wanted to wait until everything was square with her bank). Got it all straightened out with her bank and got the Dayco timing belt kit with w/p, pulleys and seals ordered this morning. This will be the third Toyota 2.2 in the family I've done this on, about a 4-5 hour driveway job with the shortcuts.

Thanks for the 5% discount, @RockAutoLLC ! Every little bit helps in these times. I'm out of work, my daughter is in On-Call status at her work instead of working 40+ hours a week, and needs her car to take her developmentally disabled adult clients to their destinations, one son was just laid off Tuesday morning from his restaurant shift supervisor job, my other son is in self-quarantine because of his roommate's possible COVID-19 exposure, so every penny saved is HIGHLY appreciated, Rock Auto!

Husker6.5

Reaction score
Oh, and of course the rubberband broke while she had a client in her car while returning them back to their supervised living home. Thank goodness the house manager was able to come and pick up the client from my daughter and take them home.

Husker6.5

Reaction score
I take it those are non interference engines?
Yes! UNLIKE my best friend's '95 Accord 4 banger. When his timing belt went at 80 mph on I-76, he just went ahead and bought a loaded reman head before even getting a timing kit. What an over-engineered POS those Honda engines are! AND a giant PITA to swap heads and do the timing belts ( Yes, belts, TWO of them! One for the cam drive, one for the counterbalancing shaft, both have to be exactly timed to both the crank and each other.)

We got it apart, had bent three valves. Could not find any fatal damage to the piston crowns, some dents, but magnification and Prussian Blue didn't show any cracks. Got it all back together, it started and idled fine, but driving it it just had a rough/low/stumble power band of about 1000rpm in the mid-range when driving it, made up-down shifting (5-speed manual) when driving a pain. Checked timing, EGR system, etc and couldn't find the cause of it. Neither could two Honda expert mechanics. So, he and his wife got rid of 'ol' trusty' and bought a brand new Accord. That was about three years ago.

I like the 5SFE 2.2 engine. A solid, well engineered, relatively simple engine Toyota a used from 92 to 01 in the Camry and RAV4. Easy to work on, good parts are cheap and are easily available. Don't need a bunch of specialized tools to work on them, unlike the Honda, which you have to buy a special holder wrench for removing the crank bolt with, which is another PITA in its own right. With t.f he holder in place and a 1/2" breaker bar in the tool's drive hole and braced against the concrete driveway to keep the crank from turning, my my 785 lb/ft 1/2" drive impact wrench and socket couldn't break the bolt loose! I wound up using a 30" long 3/4" drive breaker bar and 19mm socket on the bolt, and 280 lbs of me standing on the end of the breaker bar bouncing up and down to get it to FINALLY break loose! To say we were really worried about torquing the head of the crank bolt off is an understatement! 22 years since the factory installed it. There was 145K miles on it, his wife had bought the Accord new before they were married, belt had never been replaced. Used a dab of antiseize on the threads and torqued to spec when I put it back together.