• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reset or relearn the allison transmission

stickfolk

Reaction score
I recently installed a ppe xcelerator programer on my 2002 duramax HD 2500. I don't understand what the (transmission reset) quick learn is suppose to do for the trucks transmission?
Can any body explained to me what this feature does.
Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

The allison is a smart transmission. what this means is that it learns how you drive to alter its shifting parameters outside of the factory settings. It is constantly logging data and altering its shifting faster than you can blink.

However it gets very used to the stock power and once you load a larger tune there is so much info in the computer that it takes while to reset itself and learn.

By clearing all of the TAPs it goes into fast learn mode. basically you start from a clean slate and it learns how to shift with the added power.

At first it will shift very rough and at weird times, but as it learns again it will smooth out.

Can I reset my tranny right now I have the Edge Juice with Attitude.... Which brings up my second question, does switching between settings 1 through 5 screw with the trannsmissions ability to learn?

You can't reset with Edge. You'll need a Tech II or EFILive, I also think some of the PPE programmers do it, not sure though.

More more your turn it up the more it will shift funny. You'll notice the most difference from going to level 1 to 5 , as where if you went from level 1 to 2 it's not going to affect it that much.

Can I reset my tranny right now I have the Edge Juice with Attitude.... Which brings up my second question, does switching between settings 1 through 5 screw with the trannsmissions ability to learn?

You're best bet is going to be to not switch your power levels around all of the time. If you run with the truck at a low power level and then switch to a higher level and all of a sudden gun it, the transmission my not be adapted to shift properly and you could damage your transmission.

However, you can have the transmission adapt to shifting on a high power level in tow/haul then run it on a lower level with the tow/haul off for normal every day driving.

In my experience you are best off just picking the power level that suits what you want the tuck to do and stay with it.

You're best bet is going to be to not switch your power levels around all of the time. If you run with the truck at a low power level and then switch to a higher level and all of a sudden gun it, the transmission my not be adapted to shift properly and you could damage your transmission.

However, you can have the transmission adapt to shifting on a high power level in tow/haul then run it on a lower level with the tow/haul off for normal every day driving.

In my experience you are best off just picking the power level that suits what you want the tuck to do and stay with it.

I agree. That is what I did with mine. Since the tow/haul mode is for towing and the max power increase for towing is 60HP then the tow/haul is set to level 2. For everyday driving mine is set to 30HP (level 1). I darn sure don't need more than that for everyday driving.

Back