• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement steering box - anyone tried the LARES new (not reman) box?

I personally would be very leary of somebody selling a "new" unit. Saginaw hasn't made parts for these boxes for almost 20 years now, so if it's new, who made the parts, and what quality(or lack there of) are the parts of. From personal experience I can say avoid AGR at all cost's. I would also steer clear of redhead. Mine leaked from the pitman shaft, pulled it apart, and found that they had honed where the seal goes so the seal doesn't fit tightly enough to the housing now. I ended up going to an old style wide seal and shimming it in as deep as possible to get it to seal up, but who knows for how long it will hold.

So far I have heard nothing but good about blue top steering boxes.

Ferm, about that nothing but good about Blue Top, here is your first negative...

I put a Blue Top in my SOB 1 ton last Fall. Just pulled it (~750 miles (or maybe 500?) later) for a warranty replacement as it developed a lot of slop that was not present when we installed it. Apologies for the vague description as the shop did give me better details and I simply forgot the effected part names. In any event will see if this was a one-off, or a trend.

Warranty process with Blue Top was fairly good. Had to pay a core charge of $100 which I got back when the bad unit was returned. Blue Top picked-up the shipping costs, so that was definitely good. While the steering box was covered under warranty, I still had to pay labor to swap out parts.

Naturally, the shop is now very leery when I mention the idea of using Blue Top in my 3/4 ton that they are restoring...

Not sure if I'm missing something, but on blue top's website I don't see anything for 88-98 c/k2500, only k1500 truck and suburban.

Given how both redhead and blue top are reman units, I decided to take the slop out of my box thanks to Ferm's excellent write up

For only $30 I got a complete seal & bearing rebuild kit. And once I'm rich and famous I'll upgrade to an all new unit that @FellowTraveler highly recommends

Not sure if I'm missing something, but on blue top's website I don't see anything for 88-98 c/k2500, only k1500 truck and suburban.

Given how both redhead and blue top are reman units, I decided to take the slop out of my box thanks to Ferm's excellent write up

For only $30 I got a complete seal & bearing rebuild kit. And once I'm rich and famous I'll upgrade to an all new unit that @FellowTraveler highly recommends

As I understand it, PSC no longer sells them. I know they had them for the Duramax and the supply dried out middle of last year.

Gah! add yet another item to the list of things I couldn't afford at the time and are now no longer available :banghead:

guess they're somewhere on a cargo ship in the Suez along with half the world's lumber supply and single gang outlet boxes and everything else that has disappeared in this damn pandemic!

Gonna be some pickups with art morrison rack and pinion being created soon, huh - when enough of you guys all put in a request at once...

Back