• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

removing the hanger

jackh

Reaction score
im installing my exhaust this friday and i want to get everything sorted out before i start. anyone know an easy way to remove the hanger?

the exhaust shouldn't throw any codes right?

my cel is on right now and i was gonna have it read before the install and then a day or two after to see if anything showed up as a result

If you have a set of jackstands you should be able to get the exhaust out in one piece, which is nice if you are ever going to resell the truck.

WD40 and some pursuasion gets them off. Exhaust shouldnt throw codes.

If you dont ever plan on reinstalling the exhaust Ive found its easiest to cut the hangers with a sawzall right where they connect to the exhaust, then they just pop right out.

might throw a code if your removing the cat if this is the 07 your doing this to. my 06 didnt throw a code for the first 5 months.then after that everey once in a while i'd get a cel.

ya im gonna drive it up on blocks before the install. not even sure why i want to keep the stock system, just peice of mind i guess. ive heard its a good idea in case something big witht he turbo or engine happens, you can put the stock back on. its gonna be a hassle though, ill have to find a place to put it. maybe the attick. and yes this is an 07 that its goin on

Everyone is right about the hanger. Just spray some type of lubricant on the hanger.

You will eventually throw a code after installing your exhaust. Particularly w/ a cat delete. I figure you will eventually be doing a cai box or the ppe mod soon too. The ecm doesn't care for that much air going through your motor.

I found that driving up on blocks wont work because you have to get the exhaust past the axle. you need to get the frame up and let the axle droop. I used a jack and picked the truck up by the hitch. slid right out after that. and if I recall I went forward with it.

I found that driving up on blocks wont work because you have to get the exhaust past the axle. you need to get the frame up and let the axle droop. I used a jack and picked the truck up by the hitch. slid right out after that. and if I recall I went forward with it.

thats exactly what i did

yea I didnt think that big ass muffler was gonna get past the rear suspension and frame . its that whole square peg round hole thing.

:rockon:
WD 40 and channel locks worked for me. Hook one side behind the rubber and the other on the end of the hanger,squeezed the pliers and it slid right off. I used a floor jack to lift the frame, looped it around the axle it came out pretty easy. good luck.:D

:rockon:
WD 40 and channel locks worked for me. Hook one side behind the rubber and the other on the end of the hanger,squeezed the pliers and it slid right off. .........:D

X's 2

Ian

Back