• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recommended Greases

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does everyone recommend for wheel bearing grease?

What about gun grease for u-joints?

I have heard bits and pieces about synthetic grease. is it any good? If good, I'd prefer it!

Any help appreciated, thanks!

i don't think our u joints have grease zerks. i just use the same grease as we use in the rest of the farm equipment.

EDIT: i see you have a 6.5. i'm not sure if you gusy have grease zerks on on your u joints. the duramaxes don't have them, although we all wish they did.

Actually, I am replacing the u-joints on my 1991 gasser with greaseable ones. Yeah, neither the 91 nor the 95 came w/ them from the factory. :frown5:

Thanks for the reply!

All the PTO joints on the farm ever got was regular NGLI 2 same as chassis grease and I doubt if the truck u-joints are any more heavily loaded than some of the PTOs we've seriously abused around the farm...

I use the 5 dollor a tube Lucas gress in my gun, I dont know if its syn or not..

Synthetic grease is just the oil portion the thickener or carrier is just as important I think. Not sure what all is compatiable though.

What are ya'll saying is a good grease? water resistance, extreme pressure characteristics, temp range, stickyness/tack, oil drop out?

I like some moly in my chasis grease as its some of the best EP additives. But gm seems to recommend lithium? thickeners.

There is a Timken load test that is suppose to measure the greases ability to stay put under squeeze loading I believe. The higher the number the better ability to stay put and not get squished out.

TRC grease Texas refinery corporation is suppose to be real good but they only sell full cases so its expensive for us diyers.

I usually get Valvoline synpower or Mobile syn. Just becasue it seems to be the best of the choices at the stores I get it. But imagine "Caterpillar", TRC, or some equipment recommendation grease or similar would be better for ball joints, tierods etc. Wheel bearing or ujoint grease I would tend to stay with automotive type like Valvoline / Mobile.

Ok so today was at a different Carquest and they had multiple Valvoline greases:

Crimson™
Cerulean®
Palladium®

I bought the Palladium because it said it met Caterpillar recommendations for 3% moly type grease.

They also showed a Valvoline Optimum Choice™ Grease on thier website but have never seen it retail.

I would like to know what same data is for any of these greases and which is the best chasis grease for our trucks.

UPDATE your opinions please.

I need to buy some grease for the front end parts and will use it in tractor steering and linkages. No wheel bearings. IMO I don't like lubing slow moving chassis points with same rated grease for "disc brake wheel bearings" just seems like different applications to me.

I was surfing and saw this video.

There are a few other youtube video's of other greases getting hammered out of the anvil test. I was surprised at all the greases that just hammered out so much.

This isn't the end all test and other properties are important cohesion to seal out contaminants is big IMO for equipment.

I am leaning towards getting Amsoil Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #2

or Texas Refinery 880 Crown and Chassis.

What do you think are the top rated chassis greases today.

Only thing I am worrying about is even though these are NLGI 2 they have a lot of adhesion and cohesion and might ??? tend to blow out the boots on the ball joints more so than the creamier automotive greases ????

grease-spr-pic.PNG

Ok, if I compare some greases Amsoil to me seems like the winner for chassis grease (semi protected slow moving high load application).

Hard to get apples to apples numbers and each has a best uses. 880 seems to resist water wash off best .

Timken OK test is lower and it washes out a little more than TRC 880 but from my understanding the Timken test is to reveal the presence of EP which doesn't always lead to better bearing life. Bearing life probably does not translate to chassis life though so maybe not applicable.

I am GUESSING but the 4ball weld test would seem to indicate the slickness the grease and penetration would indicate the abilitiy to not be pushed off from working the grease in a joint??????

I have my own grease-gun that I hide in my toolbox for my projects and stuff I deem necessary. Everything else on the farm gets good 'ole parts store grease, whatever gets bought by whomever buys it, lol. Unless it's a super specialty setup, it's more important that it gets grease when it needs it, keeping up on basic preventive maintenance, IMHO.

Back