• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recommend Tires 285 75 17

Will L.

Reaction score
Recommend Tires 285 75 17
This is for the 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser. 95%of the time on freeway. Then moderate offroad (no mud) the rest of the time.

No snow or ice concerns, but because of doubling the amount of oil in our asphalt here to deal with heat- every time it rains there are tons of crashes in first 10 minutes (most the rainstorms only lasts that long anyhow).
So wet traction is super high importance.

Basically think 1/2 ton pickup that never tows or loads heavy.

what do ya like, or hate.

Oh yeah, been running Faulken wildpeak a/t since we bought it used in end of Oct of 2018. Been happy with them except the one punctured sidewall that I put a plug in And holds air as a spare. But driving on it goes flat in couple days- so spare only.
It had 127,710 miles then and now is at 163,780 so lasted 36,070 and were a few months old from previous owner.

So I’d say those are 40,000-45,000 mile tires. Never had any issues offroad. Did great dry and wet traction.
But the suspension has a 3” Icon body lift with soft suspension. So it is a bit scary trying to stay in your lane during a panic stop on the freeway.

We expected to do a ton more off-road but almost never did.

Been running TOYO 295-75-16 for many years now they are great all tires w/3,970 load rating on forged alloy wheels of same rating.

Found a note in truck book from p.o. Those tires were new at 108,750 miles, and the note he replaced the spare only a few months before we bought it. So.... yeah those tires tires are basically good for 60,000 miles on this rig.
I got pricing on them, bfg’s (which I always liked except life is short), toyos, nitto, and a goodyear comparable. Prices are all close.

If I swap to different tire type I would buy all 5, but figure I will just get 4 new ones and keep the two better ones as spare. 1 on the rig of course and the other just a tire in my shop. Called an old customer from when I was a Mac guy and he got me a few more bucks off at his shop than any other shop’s price.

The sidewall on this rig can be the lighter one since it isn’t a pickup that hauls weight or tow heavy. The only thing this rig might ever tow is a small single axle 1966 Shasta camper.

Thanks for the input guys!
I drop the truck off today after work.

The faulkins. With that many miles proven, it kinda made it easy. If I could have got the BFGs or the Toyos for a lot cheaper I would have went to them.

But expected almost twice the miles means the wife will probably decide to sell the rig before they are worn out again.

It’s not a bad rig, horrible for backing out at an angle- The huge back windows on the corners- over half covered with interior. It’s like backing a 4door pickup with 5 guys in it.

With these tires and the liftkit, arb front and rear bumpers and roof rack with light, the mpg is around 16-17 with me driving. So figure a normal person would get 18-19 mpg. Other than that there isn’t anything to complain about. Drives good, reliable, and off road does great. I only bothered hitting the locker once and didn’t really need it. What I’ve read, these tires steal 1mpg on this rig vs street tires. But my guess is my driving does that anyways- haha.

Back