• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Received my new fan system today

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
This fan system has been developed and custom built by Unique Diesel, it's been a 2 year project that got started when I decided I wanted something better than what was available. I am a "one off" kind of guy, I like thinking out of the box. I knew I wasn't capable of figuring out the electronic side of this but I knew who could. After John & myself talked about what we wanted he took the ball and ran with it. About all I provided was the idea, cash, and motivation.. This has been a 2 year venture from just a thought to product. John built a prototype and installed it on his daily driver for real world testing in the Texas heat. During this 2yr time all the fine details and bugs were worked out to come up with a standalone system that works flawlessly. This system is integrated with the AC & motor temps and is even user controlled via a small switch for on or auto user switching.

This system uses Humvee parts and is bolt on ready, all adapters are custom machined, electronics are top quality and controlled through a processor to be fully standalone. This system also uses the power steering fluid for engaging/disengaging the Humvee fan clutch, all this is precise and requires on input from the operator ..

This is a fan system that can't be compared to any other, the clutch has zero drag, free wheels when disengaged and can be held with your hand, has 100% lockup when engaged, just like road tractors have.

Once my Griffin aluminum radiator gets finished I will be ready to install this.

Stay tuned....

Interested! We don't have the year round heat as Texas or you have, but we can get pretty hot here in good old Ohio. And with the setup I will be running and for what I use my truck for, this may be the perfect upgrade for my cooking system. I'm also interested in this griffin radiator. Where might you find one of these and is it comparable with the mishimoto radiator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great!. What are you at for costs so far? Roughly. Im on a similar track for my hummer and pricing out my options. Pusher bus hydraulic fan drive us where im headed I believe.
Keenly following this.

This is driven with the belt, the ps hydraulics is where it's engaged/disengaged.... cost will need to be discussed with John @ Unique Diesel....

As for the cost, this system is a done deal, no more testing required it's OEM quality.. I won't discuss the amount we spent in development R&D...

Glad to see you guys carried through with this.

The hmmwv fanclutch is rebuildable for the future when the clutch material wears, the bearing goes out, or the seal leaks, which not all takes a long time to happen. So if he was able to keep the main clutch intact, which looks like he did, it is a forever kinda part.

That set up has been my dream system before I knew they were in hmmwvs. All the time I worked on the huge fleet of 6.5s I also worked on semi trucks and just wished for it SO bad.

I know you want to do all the upgrades at once, but for comparison testing to the rest of the guys out there, if you could show yours or Johns as a before and after with only the kit as the change I think it would help more. That way when you post results no one has to think how much is the radiator and how much is the fanclutch system. Unless you are making the radiator a mandatory part of the upgrade...

I know how drastic the clutch does in hmmwvs. A friend swapped out some (parts were on backorder) so he installed the normal fanclutch with disastrous results.

Griffin and Ron Davis radiators are the only 2 aftermarket companies making hummer radiators, and both are really nice quality.

A radiator done with TLTD coating is my other future dream....(not so subtle hint for ya to think about).

@Will L. , the Humvee clutch didn't change, a adapter was made so the belt & water pump could be used with no mods to either..
John has pics and I will also take pics & a video before & after while the radiator is out, and no the Griffin unit is just me, I always planed it and now I have a good chance to get several things swapped out at the same time. And yes it will have TLTD applied....

John will be along at some point and maybe ex plane things better...

One notable point is this system doesn't engage with temps through the radiator, it works directly off the temp sender in the head, and the controller can be programed for any temp desired for both engaged & disengaged temps... very controllable in 5* increments.. no longer will the temp passing through the stack matter to the fan...

The hmmwv fan clutch defaults to engaged. When you apply hydraulic or air pressure it releases the fan from spinning. Part of the wonderful design that some engineer had right. Kudos to that person(s).

So you need the air nozzle to spin the fan so the bolts line up with the acess holes. Even when the orings are horribly blown, you can easily get enough air from a normal shop compressor to get it to release.

Back