• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Re. Inj pump removal

Nessmuk

Reaction score
I am to the point of removing the three gear bolts.
My books allvsay to turn the engine with a 15/16 socket on the balancer bolt. As I am trying to disassemble as little as I can, the bolt is behind the serpentine pulley. Can I turn the engine over to move it? I've removed the injection lines and injectors.

I put a ratchet on the alternator pulley nut and spin the engine: usually backwards due to the tesnioner location on 1995 and older serpentine belt drives. The tensioner spring can loosen and slip the belt if you have it under load between the alt and engine pulley. Remove the oil fill rubber grommet as well to make the job easier.

Just a note. I managed the 3 nuts by alternating a pair of 15mm wrenches on the drivers side and using a wrench I cut the open end off and took as much bend out of the box end as I could. I already had it as I made it for another fitting at some point. Sort of how I make my flare wrenches with a cut off wheel and extra yard sale wrenches. They actually work better than the bought ones.

Hello.
Putting in the new, new pump soon. It'll be here today.
Can I avoid removing the intake and lines, and just pull the plenum hat part. I'd old one like to avoid it as I'm not pulling injectors.

I don't think it would be easy. Might not be possible. You have to get to the bottom of the pump to unhook the injector lines so it would be worth getting everything out of the way just for room to work in there. You've already done one pump so you already know what you are getting into.

Believe it or not, with a little custom tool, it is possible to un-hook the injection lines from the back by removing the FFM and going in from the back, but it's quickest and easiest just to rip the intake off. takes 10 minutes.

Back