• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RDS Fuel Tanks

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Anyone Use these around here?

I'm Thinking about Installing a Tank in the Bed and Hooking it up with a Gravity Feed System, so there is no Electrical Pumps or anything to Worry about.

I'd Consider a Transfer Flow, but they come with the Electronic Display, Pump, and all that "stuff", which is not what I want.

Opinions?

Those ATI's are Nice, but are a good amount more Money than the RDS's.

The one I'm Looking at is a 60 Gallon, and it's only $460.

I gotta be Picky with the Height of them though so they still Fit Under the Tonneau Cover.

I think the ATI's come with the Gravity feed setup included in the price. There was a site offering free shipping on ATI's. It is the shipping that will drive up the price on these tanks. The 60 gal tank is 20 inches wide. The ATI 46 was only 12 inches wide. They will both fit underneath the tonneau cover.

I got 19.5" Tall to Work with.

If I'm gonna do this, I wanna Fit the Biggest Tank I can, otherwise, IMO, it's not really worth doing.

And since you don't always have to Fill Both Tanks, having the Extra Bigger Tank won't "Hurt" all the time at the Pump.

Maybe it's me, but the Dimension "System" that these Tank Companies use is Weird. But by Looking at the Dimensions, you can Guess what is what.

Yes. The dimensions they use are weird. I wonder what the people that design these tanks are thinking? Or what they are smoking? :yikes:

Good deal James.

I got 19.5" Tall to Work with.

If I'm gonna do this, I wanna Fit the Biggest Tank I can, otherwise, IMO, it's not really worth doing.

And since you don't always have to Fill Both Tanks, having the Extra Bigger Tank won't "Hurt" all the time at the Pump.

Maybe it's me, but the Dimension "System" that these Tank Companies use is Weird. But by Looking at the Dimensions, you can Guess what is what.

You can size the tank to your needs.

Won't hurt at the pump? :bs: Sticker shock: 84 gal takes at least two cards and four swipes at the pump and maybe a 3rd card with the higher prices now to fill up. Banks/gas stations cut you off at $100 and only let you use the same card twice. There is no point of adding another heavy steel fuel tank with heavy fuel in it that takes up room in the bed of the truck if you don't use it's full capacity. It is extra weight that means longer stopping distances, slower acceleration, and reduced MPG. You will love high speed truck stop pumps and hate slower ones.

Fuel stolen, leaked out, or 'missing' is not covered by your insurance company even if it was done by in their contracted vehicle storage yards.

You want to use the extra capacity to get between high priced stations to the lowest priced station to help the tank pay for itself. Or go into foreign countries and get back out again without paying the higher prices there. Foreign countries like California and Canada...

The Transfer Flow with the gallons readout is precise enough to plan your next fuel stop or add enough higher priced fuel to get to the cheaper fuel. Esp if you have a DIC with average MPG for the day. They do have a UFS system without the display. However the fuel remaining down to about 7 Gal (last 20%) is accurate enough to push your range through small expensive towns to cheaper fuel stops. If you live in a expensive place and travel into a cheaper area once and awhile the system can pay for itself. The lower the MPG aka more you tow the faster the tank can pay for itself.

Another thing to think about with a cheap tank is lack of baffles. 50+ gal in the bed of the truck can slosh around really good. In my case having a baffled fuel tank in the bed of the truck was a good factor in saving the day. You see when you hit black ice under full power with a trailer the resulting rear end stepping out is going to slosh the fuel bad. Running the wheel lock to lock a few times was enough to straighten it out using 3-4 lanes. It would have taken longer with an non-baffled tank as the fuel hits harder and is a factor in keeping the rear wheels breaking traction side to side. The small car oncoming between our rig and the semi would have been a cream filling. As it was the skid marks were impressive.

It is the small things you don't notice with a better product till you need them. And then you can't put a price on it.

I believe both the RDS and ATI tanks, as well as a few other name brands all have baffles built in. Good point WarWagon.

I ran the RDS 60 gal for WVO. It was a nice tank. You can buy the sender unit for it to mount the gauge inside.

I already have a tank for fuel but it doesn't feed the truck tank now, anyone know where I can get the gravity feed kit ??? Right now I use a sifining tube .

EDIT.... never mind, I found what I am looking for.....

Back