• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Quick question, remove CDR?

Nessmuk

Reaction score
Will the truck run and and be ok with the CDR hose unhooked and or the CDR removed?
Can I plug a breather filter into either the hose or the valve cover itself?

It won't hurt anything. There are benefits to a CDR but everything needs to be tip-top. As these engines get old they slobber oil into the intake, which is never good IMO. Then we get creative on finding ways to vent the blow by. ;)

It ain't going to hurt anything with the hose unhooked from the filter section. I would leave the hose hooked up to the cdr. If your engine don't have much blow-by then you could try the filter in place of the cdr. If it does have any blow-by then I would think the filter would act like a wick kinda. It would eventually fill up the filter with oil and slowly start running out of it on the valve cover, exhaust manifold and maybe down into the engine valley. If the cdr is working right then I would say leave it just unhook it from the intake and add a little extra hose to to get it to point down in front of the radiator.

Last edited:
It didn't use any oil with the smaller air filter out. The one I found is 7 inches across the paper, not under six like the other. It's also twice as long. I posted it as 8 inches wide on another site, but I was thinking about the size stove pipe I'll need to make a cold air intake.
I plan on using the smaller filter on my 2.5l Plymouth Scamp.

You are messing with the CDR, why? How much blowby does this old engine have anyway? I removed a CDR from a engine nearing rebuild time once. When I took the offramp and stopped people were dialing 911 as they thought the truck was on fire from all the blowby coming out from the engine.

X2 oil vapor will plug a paper filter quick.

There are many CDR threads on here including using a provent:

@ak diesel driver research:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/my-cdr-experiment.27991/

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/a-better-oil-catch-can-maybe.43709/

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/provent-200-instead-of-cdr.46329/

I am running the hose back in (still on the shelf right now). They come with a check valve so it doesn't feed back up when offroading or cornering in formula1 races and wont allow vapor to flow up and alter breathing flow for the engine. Ronco had the right idea- set it and forget it.

Back in the fleet I used to build my own version of it. This one I bought along with some other stuff from Bobbie Martin -the greatest 6.5 author ever.

How do I build a catch can system.
I got the new CDR valve. Looks like I'll need to raise it a bit to clear the turbo down pipe.
I'm thinking a 1 inch nipple and short piece of hose, then the CDR, then out to the catch can.

Before I did the tuneup on My truck, it was using some oil and inside of the turbo and plumbing was soaked, even where the hoses clamped to the intake was a mess.
I cleaned it all up real good and installed a new CDR valve.
Before I made the trip to Denver and back, I had changed the oil, it was on the full line. After getting home from just over the 1,000 mile journey, it was just barely below the full line.
I hope the same will work for Your truck.

I got my new cdr. Should I plumb it to the air cleaner housing, or inside the air filter plenum (before the filter)?
If it goes outside the filter, do I need a filter housing, or can I just end the hose next to the filter?

Back