• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Question on machining 82-90 660 blocks

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a 6.2 or 6.5 engine as a project to build it into a stronger engine as a candidate for a sled-pulling truck. I have found 6.2 engines for sale at a good price and am looking at a military 6.2 engine out of a hummer. At the very least I'd like to get the bottom-end setup to where I can put a Scat crank and Heath's main stud kit in. Problem is being a 660 block and having the two-piece rear main seal I know you have to get the block machined to a one-piece setup to even use a Scat crank. Question is does anybody know roughly what it would cost for a machine shop to machine an 82-90 6.2 block for a one-piece rear main/crank to be able to work and what's involved with the machining? I know I'd totally be able to avoid getting all that work done if I found a 91-93 599 block, but just was curious what you'd have wrapped up in the machine work on the older blocks. Thanks.

Sal

Not really sure if machining the block is the route you would go to fit the "scat" in a 660 block. The ones that we have seen and heard of being done, the crank was machined to fit the block with 2 piece seal. This is a much simpler method, as the seal housing for the one piece seal is cast in the block.

Thanks for the reply and been awhile since I posted this. Wasn't sure I was going to get a reply, but makes perfect sense that you'd machine the crank to fit the older blocks. I knew it would be a little involved to try to use the "scat" and 660 combo, so I figured all along I'd be better off with a 91+ motor.

Hey I'm going to use this site called autoplicity.com to order up my main studs. You can go through whomever you choose but as long as you get a block that has all 12mm main bolt holes the part numbers from ARP are 151-4202 and 151-5401. You could do some measuring if you get a block that has the 10mm outer main bolt holes and call up ARP and get the right part number for those studs. This will be a good way to save you some money probably at least $100 over the Heath ones...
Hope this helps you out

Back