• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Question for you 6.5 gurus

Jaryd

Extremely Deplorable
Reaction score
On the engine valley side of the heads are 4 looks like 1/4" maybe 1/8" plugs in the head. One of mine sprung a leak today and I was wondering how you guys get them out. I took the top and bottom intake off and the plugs are smooth on the inside with no way of getting a Allen head or anything else in there to take it out. Or are they just small freeze plugs. If they are freeze plugs what are the chances of changing them out without taking the heads off.

If your talking about these....IMG_20170419_171903.jpg
They are basically a freeze style plug. The holes are for machining purposes.
Put a really coarse screw or self drilling bolt in it and use the head of it to pull it out. Finding the proper plug might be the problem. Maybe check with machine shop.

Yep that's the one. As I was typing that earlier I thought it might be a freeze plug. The heads that I'm running sat on my parts truck for probably 7-8 years and I've been using them for 2 months now maybe. That tells me I need to plan on changing all the freeze plugs on both heads if I can find them somewhere.

It is rusted through. When it was leaking I stuck my pocket knife in it and it opened up even more.

Yup. Suckfest. You have the right idea- change them all so one doesn't cost you the engine. How are the big plugs?

The big plugs seem fine as far as I can tell. They have been in there since before I bought the truck and haven't noticed any leaking. I'll look real good when it's daylight.
I blew a head gasket on my other heads and had them pressure tested and of course they failed so I pulled my spare heads had them tested and they passed. Then roughly 2 months later this happens to one of them.

Back