• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Powermaster starter upgrade

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
Starters take some seriously heavy abuse, and when they go out, its not often that we have time to sit around waiting for parts to come in, and 9 out of 10 times it usual happens when you least need it too. Unfortunately, I can attest to both of these being true, as not only did mine almost leave me stranded, but it was far from a good time.

For about 3 weeks now, my starter has been acting rather... "rough" I should say. It has had no engagement problems, no sticking(keeps spinning when you let off the key), and no slow cranking, but it has been getting "louder" Last Monday it gave me the dreaded grinding noise as the armature wasn't fully extending to hit the flywheel. I was lucky enough to get it back home from the yard and it has sat since.

Well, I'm not one to leave things stock so I decided to "upgrade" the starting system while I was at it. Big Blue will be receiving one of Powermasters Gear reduction starters, and a massive 4/0 starter cable to boot.

Now, Powermaster has an OUTSTANDING reputation in the racing world when it comes to both there starters and alternators. But for this purpose, I'll be looking at there gear reduction starter, made specifically for our 6.5L and 6.2L diesels. They also claim that this unit has an increase of 30 ft/lbs in torque(at stock amperage draw) as compared to the stock units. A few "birds" have also told me that they spin to a different tune(similar to the newer diesel starters... think DMAX cranking up.) I placed my order with JEGS for one of there units. Now all that is left is for the new starter to arrive and I'll be back to work. Perfect timing since the Middlesex county 4H fair is starting this Sunday and Big Blue needs to be in perfect order.

But until the Powermaster unit arrives, I'll be tearing down my old starter to see whats inside...

As a friendly warning to all 6.5'ers, ya'll should check your starter bolts often. I rolled under m truck to remove my starter and discovered that I was missing a bolt. Turns out the bolt snapped off inside the block and dropped out(it was sitting in my grass). Leaving only 1 bolt to hold the starter and the reinforcement bracket. It wouldn't be a bad idea as while your down there for an oil change just to pop a wrench on the bolts and make sure there tight. Previous threads show that either the bolt will snap under the torquing action, or you will end up taking a chunk of your engine block. Obviously, neither is good, but I'd rather a bolt snap that to have a bad block.

I should note that if you DO end up taking a chunk off your block that some people have had success with either the "lock and stitch" method, or bringing the whole assembly to a very knowledgeable welder and having him re weld up the hole, than drill and tap it for the new unit.

Now on to the teardown. It seems that photobucket is being gay So I'll have to upload them onto the forum here instead. Notice the point of breakage here on the bolt. (Detroit Dan mentions almost an exactly identical breakage of his as well). There is a knurl after the threading on the bolt meant to stop them from loosening once in there bore, but this defiantly wasn't the case here. The bolt loosened just enough that the torque snapped it right off. Locktite will be used on the new installation. The powermaster kit for our trucks comes with new bolts for this so no need to reuse the old ones or have to shell out $6.87(or more) to the stealer(a piece!)

Also, in the picture, is the debated "reinforcement bracket" mounted to the rear of the starter(P/N: N23502557) used to support the rear of the starter and brace it against the block. Some claim that they have driven years without this unit and seen no effect.(myself being one of them for an unknown amount of time) Just to clarify, I did however replace the missing bolt however about a year ago after discovering that it was missing.

Attachments

• 0725101947.jpg
    0725101947.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 0725101947a.jpg
    0725101947a.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 10
Ordered Powermaster and love it! Well worth the cost.

Does it start better now? Report
I wonder if ARP makes studs for this install? I will have to look

Nothing fancy to these starters. They measure in at 13" long, 7" tall, 5" wide. These aren't perfect measurements, but it gives you an idea at what your dealing with here, and how it will compare to the Powermaster unit. From what I've seen in some pictures from a member on the "place" there is a huge difference in design.

Attachments

• 0725101947b.jpg
    0725101947b.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 0725101948.jpg
    0725101948.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 0725101948a.jpg
    0725101948a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 0725101948b.jpg
    0725101948b.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 0725101948c.jpg
    0725101948c.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 6
Does it start better now? Report
I wonder if ARP makes studs for this install? I will have to look

I will have to report on that after installing the new unit. But that won't be till tuesday or wednesday of this week(JEGS is usually really good with there shipping). I've HEARD good from a few people(one more thanks to War Wagon:D), so I'm wanting to do a full review, and install write up/video once it comes in. Supposedly the trucks fire ALOT faster(and actually have to slow down some after cranking...) with the Powermaster unit installed.

Not sure on the ARP standpoint though. It would be worth asking them just to see. Problem is its not JUST a bolt. It has that specially knurled end as you see in the above pictures.

SmithvilleD has one on his truck and was impressed with it.

Back