• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering Pump bolts

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
On my 95 the power steering pump bolt both broke off and the other one is missing. The pump looks like the bolts are coming out of it so I am assuming that the pump will need to be replaced since the bolts are machined in. Is that correct?

Last edited:
After taking the PS pump out they are studs with an 18 mm flat hex nut that screws the stud into the pump and the other end gets a nut that tightens it onto the bracket.

After doing some research they are called banjo bolts. They are 1/3 threaded bolt with a 1/8" thick 18 mm hex nut, then 2/3 threaded bolt. The threads are 10 x 1.5 mm. I can't find them any where. I found some with different threads but nothing with the threads I need.

Do you have a Fastenal around you. If so, they have or can get about anything you need when it comes to this kind of stuff. If not, search for a nut and bolt supply house around your area.

Banjo bolts on power steering pump? Can you post pics of what you have?

Banjo bolts are used to transfer fuel or oil inside of them.
AEA8885B-373E-4DB2-B687-58AA87DD020F.png
C3AAF383-AEC1-4083-B980-69562178AFCC.png

That looks like a booger to find. Kinda like a one step bolt/stud. I see it in 3/8 version.

Think you can use a M10x1.5 stud and jam nut to simulate it. Might could red locktite the jam nut to right spot on stud.

I assume you saw these 3/8-16 versions on jegs.

I have mistaken M10x1.5 and 3/8-16 before they are dang close and can cross thread into each other with some extra force.

Attachments

• bolt-stud.PNG
    bolt-stud.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 6
I assume you saw these 3/8-16 versions on jegs.

I have mistaken M10x1.5 and 3/8-16 before they are dang close and can cross thread into each other with some extra force.

Yes these are them. I called Jegs and they only have the 3/8 - 16. I took the broken ones I have to the hardware store to check the size and it is 10x1.5 mm. Called the dealer this morning and they can get them in 10 days but they are $32 each. Outrageous!!! I also went to pick and pull and all the gassers have the same length on both side were the diesel's need 2" on the back side. I will check fastenal like Jaryd suggested.

This is what I thought banjo bolts were but in google pictures they had the studs listed as a banjo bolt also.

Yeah, random errors by search engine. google image search "6.5 rocker arm" and you'll get lawnmower heads, a crankshaft, along with sbc gasser rocker arm & stud in first 25 pics.

I figured the 6.5 pump was metric due to military crossover production back in the day. More saying its very frustrating having them so close to the same thing and put a pic for reference.

I kinda doubt Fastenal will have them. Don't see it on thier website. It will be a special order. There is nothing industry standard about those type bolts other than the thread. I don't even know what you call it. There is no uniform common name that I know of maybe "double ended hex bolt", "one step step stud", "double-ended stud with hex" ?????

I think you are going to have to jam nut a stud or suck it up and dealer. Might try an online GM parts place if you can get the part number from a dealer.

Thanks guy's! I'm thinking I need to use a bolt from the back. The issue I have is the stud nut is 4.5 mm and the washers I found are 4.2 mm. I can't seem to find a nut or combination of washers to provide the 4.5 mm space filler. The .3 difference will shred the fan belt over time.

Can you post pics?
0.3 mm is less than half the thickness of a credit card, Have you had problems from that far out before?
That’s like shim stock action more than a washer.

Ok, now I get it.
Nothing in my bolt & nut drawer to match those, sorry.

Your washer idea seems ok, just maybe hard to hold washers in place during install?

What about: a piece of all thread aka threaded rod. Cut to length, grind nut flat to proper thickness and install it on pump. Then reassemble normal.

Ok, now I get it.
Nothing in my bolt & nut drawer to match those, sorry.

Your washer idea seems ok, just maybe hard to hold washers in place during install?

What about: a piece of all thread aka threaded rod. Cut to length, grind nut flat to proper thickness and install it on pump. Then reassemble normal.

I was having the same thoughts with the threaded rod but i think if I had the correct shim size I could put the bolts through the back and put the shim on and then hold the pump in place to thread the bolts onto the pump. If I can't get it that way they I'll have to go the threaded rod route.

Back