• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Popped 🍒

Snizzykaliznak

Reaction score
I just got my first diesel. A '93 chevy silverado turbo diesel. And I know nothing about them. I want to go threw it and see what might need replacing or cleaned. For instance I took off the air filter to look at what I assumed was a big carburetor. Can I use carb cleaner in there? And I live at a pretty high elevation. With my 4.3l sonoma I turn the cover over to get better airflow. Can I do that with this? And it has a 2003 transmission hooked to an EZ tcu by tci. But no reverse. Well here are some pics.20210811_201706_capture.jpg

Welcome aboard! nice truck. for the air cleaner, I wouldn't turn the air cleaner cover over as it would be pulling in hot air from under the hood. Diesels want cool air. as for the carb cleaner, you don't want to use anything flammable, it can act the same a starting fluid and cause some damage if sucked into the intake. I would assume your truck is a non-turbo engine. Fill in your truck details in you signature and post some more photos to see what were looking at. there's lots of info here in the forums and plenty of guys here to help and learn lots from :)

Sorry it took forever to do this. Learned a lot about the truck since then. The vacuum pump is bad. I want to eliminate it. Do I have to go turbo? And if so what's the best way of doing that without taking out a second mortgage? 20211118_132548.jpg20211118_132535.jpg

You do not have a turbo, this engine is n/a (naturally aspirated) also called non-turbo.
This means you have the 6.2, not the 6.5 TD.

I REALLY call into question removing your pump.

There is a lot of info online about people eliminating vacuum pumps. Understand this is for two reasons. The original vacuum pumps only lasted about 75,000 miles. But they have corrected the flaw and new ones last double that now. So every 150,000 miles spend $80 and 5 hours replacing it.

The other reason is the primary use of the vacuum pump is to control boost level of turbo- which you don’t have.

So IF you have a vacuum pump then what does it operate on your truck? Remove the pump, buy a shorter belt.

Then modify hvac or whatever yours was controlling. You will still spend the same $80 most likely in other components, and will spend 4.5 hours removing it. Then you will spend a few hours modifying whatever yours used to control.

So same time spent as if you replace it twice, and if you are frugal and resourceful, maybe you can save $20 this time. Hopefully your new parts last and you won’t have to fix them over the

Does the 93 have a vacuum style of a cruise control ?
If so, and, if You eliminate the vacuum pump, the CC will fail to function.
I know that My 93 K1500 with a 350V8 was vacuum CC.

Welcome @Snizzykaliznak in your photos I see two vacuum solenoids on the drivers valve cover, my guess is you have an EGR that is vacuum controlled and something else. removing the pump may cause issues that would require a modified tune in order not to get an engine light and possible derated performance.

This means you have the 6.2, not the 6.5 TD.

Pickups as far as I know:

1992 and 1993 had a 6.2 NA, 6.5 NA, and a High Output 6.5TD.
1994 was 6.5TD only.

Having a 6.2 and a 6.5 for two model years ... I still have questions: like WHY? That many left over 6.2's after 6.5 production started?

Yet in the pictures above I am looking at a 1994 coolant tank, 1994 DS4 injection pump, 1992/1993 Cruise control (electronic) on the firewall.

And it has a 2003 transmission hooked to an EZ tcu by tci. But no reverse. Well here are some pics.

Do share: what exactly do you have? Is this in The USA? I have not seen a NA DS4 setup esp. on a 1993. Maybe the engine and ECM is out of a P30 delivery van or something?

Unless you know you best just replace the vac pump and "hope". Otherwise you are working on a rare combination.

Take more pictures esp of the driver side firewall, Injection pump, and where things go. Do you have an EGR can under the air cleaner lid? Pics...

Pickups as far as I know:

1992 and 1993 had a 6.2 NA, 6.5 NA, and a High Output 6.5TD.
1994 was 6.5TD only.

Having a 6.2 and a 6.5 for two model years ... I still have questions: like WHY? That many left over 6.2's after 6.5 production started?

Yet in the pictures above I am looking at a 1994 coolant tank, 1994 DS4 injection pump, 1992/1993 Cruise control (electronic) on the firewall.

Do share: what exactly do you have? Is this in The USA? I have not seen a NA DS4 setup esp. on a 1993. Maybe the engine and ECM is out of a P30 delivery van or something?

Unless you know you best just replace the vac pump and "hope". Otherwise you are working on a rare combination.

Take more pictures esp of the driver side firewall, Injection pump, and where things go. Do you have an EGR can under the air cleaner lid? Pics...
I will today.

I believe it's primarily for exhaust. Diesels can't create own vacuum. As for CC previous owners cut lines.

Than this is not a factory setup.

Maybe it's (The ECM) out of a NA application? Does it smoke black badly if you floor it? Some black smoke on a NA 6.2 is normal, but, blocking out the Sun is the question I have: If so it has a turbo tune.

You mentioned it has a 2003 transmission. Any other details you know about what they put in?

Back