• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Planing trip for next year, how much trailer can my old girl handle?

great white

Reaction score
The wife and I are planning a 2-3 week trip for next year to tour Vancouver island (hey, we're stuck here, might as well see it all) and we'll be renting a trailer to haul with my ol' 98 K2500.

Detailed specs are as in siggy.

Since we're renting a trailer, I'd like to know what size we should be looking for?

We'll probably hit some elevations in the 3-4000 foot range, maybe a bit higher at times. Planing mostly sea level travel, although BC is not exactly know for flat land....:rolleyes:

I'm looking for bumper tow, I'm not punching holes in my rust free bed for a gooseneck or 5th wheel. Especially a rental.

The 6.5 has about 300,000 kms on it and a fair bit of blowby. "Water test" pushes the water down about 1/8 to 1/4 inch at idle and pulls it up about 4 inches at 2000 rpm (I think the CDR is roached).

It's the "heaviest" 3/4 ton you can get, 8600 lb weight rating and she's been set up for towing (connector, trailer brake controller, slide in camper rear springs option, etc) by the PO. It's got a 2 " reciever hitch on the rear, but I'm not sure what class yet.

The wife wants something around the 23 foot mark with slide outs. She likes her space and with two dogs (100 lb and 85 lb) I tend to agree bigger is better for the sake of sanity.

Any idea what trailer weight we should be looking for?

And, any specific equipment we should get for the tow (load equalizers, etc)

Also, anything to look for when renting a trailer? (IE: water tanks, mold, etc)

I've hauled lots of stuff before (8 footers, 16 foot boat, 25 foot boat, dual wheel pop up trailer, etc) but never anything this heavy...

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, a mod can move the thread if there's a better place for it.

PM Jifaire, his truck is similar with yours and he may have towed his 5th wheel before any mods were done.

As a guess I would say 7500# max if any hills are involved, and you won't get any speeding tickets

I wouldn't see any big issues pulling a 23' TT, just don't try to maintain 65mph. I forget what class your receiver is, but it's big enough. Definitely use equalizer bars.

I hauled a 1978 22' travel trailer with my '84 RCLB 3/4 ton with the 350 gasser for a few years around Idaho. A bit slow going up the passes or when bucking a headwind, but it handled it fine.

That's a big trailer for sure.

I hauled 8,000 behind my Suburban, and it pulled it just fine, it was below the level of the truck, however, and that tall TT has to add another 2k just in wind weight.

Might be as cost effective to rent a motor home and not tear up your truck.

Do you still have the sticker on the hitch with it's weight ratings? That sticker may be higher or lower than the truck can handle with the weight distributing bars on.

Overloading the truck can break or bend things. Separate tires etc.

Really good suggestion above: motor home rental. Or a really light trailer.

Back