• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Piston rings, single piston set?

KrisML

Reaction score
OK so the engine I had rebuilt for my truck had suffered a gasket/sealant failure and flooded the oil pan with coolant. Engine had at most 50 minutes of run time. So when I pulled it apart I was hoping to be able to just change all bearings and of course gaskets and be on my merry way. Now obviously I had to disassemble everything to clean it. I even pulled the lifters apart to get any oil residue out of them.

Since they were new I was hoping to reuse the piston rings as the never had time to fully seat. While pulling the pistons apart to clean them one broke. ONE! All the others came off fine. The place I ordered bearings said they can only get a full set of rings, all 8 cylinders. I've looked some but it's looking like I may be stuck buying a whole new set. Which if I have to I will, but I'd like to not if I can for money reasons.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that would sell a set for just one piston? It's for a 6.2 bored .020 over.

I figured it would get more looks in the 6.5 area.

Thanks
Kris

What ever brand they are, call that company and explain you broke one. Have the part number handy.
I had it happen once years ago from Mahle or someone like that just going together too fast, and they actually just sent me a single ring for free. Worth a try.

Hopefully someone here has old extra parts around on a shelf.

I have bought 1 piston from this place (but bought a whole engine set of rings). Actually, iirc the set was the same size for another engine with more cylinders and the same price so I had extras which was great because I broke one on install. Yours being a semi-special and low volume is the killer though. I like Will's idea.

bucksengineparts dot com I bought from the Anderson, SC location.

If no joy might call or email some engine rebuilder and see if they would help you out. I doubt this type of thing is going to be listed in any catalog or website because not many people buy just 1 ring.

I don't know which is best to call jasper or someone smaller like http://www dot cmengines dot com/ or a more diesel oriented rebuilder. I would think they break some rings occasionally and need extra over a set.

I'll have to dig around to see if I have the part number, I know they are sealed power brand.

I'll give those places a call, definitely doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks

Update:
So I took the block to a local machine shop to have them change them cam bearings and hot tank it. While talking with them I asked about buying just a single piston set.

He knew the right person to talk to, from the same place I used, and he was able to order me a set for one piston. 60 bucks with shipping but that's better then 200+.

So they are available if needed.

Back