• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Personal Checkbook

I created an Excel spreadsheet. I tried Mint.com for a while, but they wanted too much control. I'm a big fan of maintaining my own records. If you don't have Office, you can use LibreOffice's Calc. Free=Good :thumbsup:

Well to be honest I don't write near as many checks as I use to. I basically look for any errors or false charges etc. Only very occasionally balance to the penny. Its too hard with the occasional extra $2 for other ATM if I am across town. And I forget when the occasional auto draft is coming out for say Sirius (6 month renewal). So its just easier to review monthly statement.

I can't really control house expenses. I could track fuel usage and look for issues. I have a notebook I record gallons filled and cost each time at pump but haven't put it in excel in a long time.

What are you trying to track so closely?

Monthly bank statement tells me what is left in the account.
I do the books once a year with Quicken come tax time,..Wife wants nothing to with it,..neither do i but if i don't it won't get done at all :nonod:

I'm trying Mint right now. My expenses are pretty low right now. My dad uses QuickBooks, does a lot of money and calculations through it...

For personal checkbook, and being free, it's hard to beat Microsoft Money. It's all offline, so your info will be you on your harddrive.

I use it, I love. I keep up with expenses per category, payee, and of course it does everything else you'd expect. Run's fine on Windows 8.1.

Last edited:
For personal checkbook, and being free, it's hard to beat Microsoft Money. It's all offline, so your info will be you on your harddrive.

I use it, I love. I keep up with expenses per category, payee, and of course it does everything else you'd expect. Run's fine on Windows 8.1.

I had the 2006 version of Microsoft Money and loved it. It was on my old computer which had an old version of windows, heck it might have been XP. I have a new Dell with 8.1 so I don't think it will work.

Like I said before I have am Excel Spreadsheet now to track my bills and expenses, but I really liked the Microsoft Money better.

I had the 2006 version of Microsoft Money and loved it. It was on my old computer which had an old version of windows, heck it might have been XP. I have a new Dell with 8.1 so I don't think it will work.

Like I said before I have am Excel Spreadsheet now to track my bills and expenses, but I really liked the Microsoft Money better.

I'm using it on 8.1 right now...

I'm using it on 8.1 right now...

I thank you for informing me about using the Microsoft Money 2006 on working your computer.

I have been real busy lately and had not tried to load it. Yesterday after searching around the house I found my Microsoft Money 2006 disc. I put the disc in and loaded it, thinking there would be all kinds of issues. No issues and to my disbelieve my old information from last spring was on the new computer after I loaded it. I would have thought I would have had to start from scratch and put in all the information, like my accounts.

I would assume I had backed up the data base and saving that information on a disc before I shut down my old computer. When I transferred all the files to the new computer (8.1) it must have transferred my Microsoft Money 2006 data, which was a good deal.

Once again I have a great system to track any bills and keep up with any loan payments I might have.

Money is an awesome program for personal checking/banking. I use it everyday for mine.

Back