• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pensacola Diesel Injectors

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that I need injectors, and I've been looking at getting bosch ones from either leroy or heath. However, I saw that Pensacola diesel has injectors for less than what it'd cost for new bosch ones. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but I figured I'd see if anyone is running them, or has run them and if you've had any bad experiences with them. Thanks

Google the bad reviews of Pensacola diesel Junk. Keep in mind a bad injector takes out your engine like the avatar pic I have. The bright side is the money you save on injectors can go toward the $2000.00 it takes to swap another engine in.

Leroy is clearly the better choice.

The prior owner of my '99 had bought a set of Marine Injectors from Pensacola for $238. They leaked and he ended up buying a set of Marine Injectors from Heath for $725. The Bosch Marine Injectors from Heath are still in my '99 Suburban and have a little over 60K miles on them.

Next go around I will get Injectors with stock German Nozzles built with a 2300 psi pop test. The Marine Injector add no power, but the spray pattern smokes with a tune and the ATT turbo.

Stock injectors can flow for up to 400hp, so I wasnt planning on marine since they're a waste of money. I was hoping to have someone set the pop pressure

Marine injectors have a spray pattern suited for sustained high RPMs that you would see in a boat application. Other than that, there's no difference in performance. That said, the concentrated apart pattern is smokier at launch.

With the low sulfur fuel you need lubrication added to the fuel or more likely than not your IDI IP & injectors will give you trouble and/or prematurely fail be it BOSCH or any other aftermarket yea CKO too.

While marine injectors are for high rpm application they can cause choppy/rough idle and cause a cylinder miss code too with out being faulty because they are designed for high RPM use.....as quality goes I have not seen premature failures with so-called CKO injectors. Just like all the alleged CKO turbo failures that 99% turn out to be abuse or improper install.

Being slightly older than most herein this site I remember when all the negative talk was against Japanese parts "JKO" so IMHO ignorance leads the charge this comment is not intended to offend any herein its a general statement about individual dislikes based more on fiction than fact.

Sure there are leaking injector reports however there are specific things that cause leaks in mechanical injectors 'improper assembly, torque, cracked body etc. symptom of internal cracked IDI injector body return lines can pop off.

I rebuild my injectors w/whatever parts are readily available and get decent service out of all the different nozzles however I use 1 oz of 2 cycle to every gal of diesel fuel always.................

Being slightly older than most herein . . . this comment is not intended to offend any herein . . .

Meh . . . Whipper Snapper ;)

Toward the smoke aspects. This tends to happen more when either deliberately trying to burn more fuel through a tune, or working with a tuner that does not have actual experience with your turbo. Another factor I have experienced is that 'Brand-X' marine injectors smoke a *LOT* more than Bosch no matter what tune. Ok, Yes, Got-it that there are only two tuners in the world supporting the 6.5, but point is that the fuel curves are not necessarily based on actual experience / data logging with the available turbos. For the GM-X turbo, I'd go with Heath as he has plenty of data logging on a GM-X to do a good tune. For the ATT I'd go with KOJO for the same reasons and not Heath as (last I checked) he is doing the fuel curves from theory. For Holset turbos, go fish . . .

Regarding using lube, X-2 even with a new IP rated for ULSD as I am not aware where anybody make injector parts that are ULSD tolerant.

Back to the original question though . . . Both Leroy and Heath stand by their products and provide excellent support, so it is down to a matter of price. No matter which injector you get (OE or marine), do homework on what pop pressure you want and then press hard to get all of the injectors set to that pop and matched / balanced to each other as part of the sale. Resetting the pop and balancing the injectors might cost a few extra $$ as the seller has to open the box, test each injector, and possibly open the injector to make a quick adjustment.

I'm currently running a Heath Max-E-Tork tow tune, but since I'm going HX35 with WMI and FTB next weekend, I'm looking into getting custom tunes from Buddy, or getting a super hot one from Kojo. My friend is currently working on decoding a set of tunes from EFI live, comparing them to what's been datalogged from this heath tune, and my old hypertech one to try and build me a set of tunes. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that stuff. I've been impressed with what heath can do on stock turbo, but after seeing his holset tune firsthand, it doesn't impress me.

I was speaking with Morgan Chenoworth awhile ago, and he had suggested either a 2100psi or 2300psi pop pressure out of a set of OE injectors. I run Power service year round in my fuel, and I run the stanadyne "performance" formula to it when I can afford it, so my IP is always getting some sort of lube in it.

While we are talking injectors. I am looking for a good set to have rebuilt.

I have one set that has been rebuilt here now and for some reason I would like to have another set ready.

Does anybody sell injectors that have been tested and balanced already?

I send mine out to a place in Michigan that was recommended to me. I just have them rebuilt because they charge close to the same for testing new injectors as they do rebuilding them

Meh . . . Whipper Snapper ;)

Toward the smoke aspects. This tends to happen more when either deliberately trying to burn more fuel through a tune, or working with a tuner that does not have actual experience with your turbo. Another factor I have experienced is that 'Brand-X' marine injectors smoke a *LOT* more than Bosch no matter what tune. Ok, Yes, Got-it that there are only two tuners in the world supporting the 6.5, but point is that the fuel curves are not necessarily based on actual experience / data logging with the available turbos. For the GM-X turbo, I'd go with Heath as he has plenty of data logging on a GM-X to do a good tune. For the ATT I'd go with KOJO for the same reasons and not Heath as (last I checked) he is doing the fuel curves from theory. For Holset turbos, go fish . . .

Weste_s will sell you and re-program your 6.5 indefinitely or tweak whatever you like.
Knowing the CFM output at various pressure ratios will greatly improve the tune and all turbos mentioned herein have more than a few total cfm output levels yes even the alphabet one last I counted for that one was 4 then the CKO hx who knows? as two of us on this site have the same part number CKO HX40w and different wheels and compressor housings that'a a real guessing game. I like the Mitsu TDO7-, Holset HX Super 40 and the CKO however the CKO is purely a guessing game for any tune.

While we are talking injectors. I am looking for a good set to have rebuilt.

I have one set that has been rebuilt here now and for some reason I would like to have another set ready.

Does anybody sell injectors that have been tested and balanced already?

I send mine out to a place in Michigan that was recommended to me. I just have them rebuilt because they charge close to the same for testing new injectors as they do rebuilding them
You can buy the pop tester on the cheap then go with whatever nozzle you decide on there are kits sold with everything you need to tune those injectors in.

In all honesty I still rebuild the hi pops I bought from Heath back in the day and do use the el crapo CKO nozzles on occasion w/o issue but again any hi pop can cause loping, rough idle even throw a code for a miss.

Back