• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Peninsular Diesel 6.5

Big T

Reaction score
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/peninsular-diesel.677483/

1414230_b5fe77f15413731dba3df864b7e6bef8_thumb.jpg

I don’t see how much he is asking or where location is.

I always wanted some of those exhaust manifolds to see if they fit and flow better than hummer/van.

That air cooler and the intake piece for it might be worth a couple bucks. I can imagine how bad all the fasteners are if it was living with salt water.

Can’t see what turbo it is. I’m on my phone so hard to see details. Boats generally like wide open turbos and live at high rpm all the time so I would expect web cracks and worn ip head/rotor.

The turbo won't fit anything but what it's on, it is/was designed and everything was built around marine use.. water cooled turbine, ungated, custom compressor cover, it never was designed for center mount as we know it .. However I know were a couple new ones are if anyone wants one...

And the IC won't work without lots of fab work, it cools more than just the air, it also has water flowing through it, and cools the motor oil...

And the exhaust mannies, well they are a lot bigger than they look, they are water cooled as well and made of aluminum....

One good note, all the marine 6.x's use v-belts, none are serpentine, and they use a custom high flow water pump that is a bolt on for v-belt 6.2/6.5 in trucks and hummers...

And the intake top hat tells ya it's a 6.2, that top hat can also still be found new, it is a brother to the one for our 6.5's but has the 2 bolt holes for older 6.2 intakes...

Without knowing any history, to me it's highest and best value is an anchor.

Not tring to sound harsh, that is reality.

Marine systems usually get raw water cooled. A few (very few) have exchangers that are similar to a radiator except they are water-to-coolant systems. With an exchanger, the coolant stays internal to the motor and the raw water stays outside the motor. So, unless I can get a guarantee that the motor had an exchanger for *all* of its life, I would discount the innerds as corroded by water of some blend (fresh to salt).

Another huge risk to a raw water cooled marine motor is whether it gets proper winterization. Skipping winterization is a short step away from a crack somewhere in the block.

So, back to this motor. Given the ad, it is worth its value as scrap. If somebody wants to buy it at that level and tear it down, they might get lucky and have a salvageable motor or at least some spare parts. But at a *bare minimum* it *must* get torn down unless the new owner does not care about reliability / dependability.

There is a bunch of boat racing teams here, Lake Mead bring great for races. Talking with some of the guys in the past, they basically run the engines as hot as they want, and “tune” the egt with water flow through the exhaust manifolds. Not as many 6.5 boats here as there used to be. I only know of 2 or 3 at the moment. If you think we love this engine for trucks, you should talk to boat owners with them! The 6.2/6.5 boat guys I have known over the years never heard of them overheating.

I’ve never seen flow capabilities of the exhaust manifolds, but the exhaust part inside the water chamber seems bigger than normal manifolds. Every since I started thinking about different ways to turbo my hummer I remembered the boat manifolds, but haven’t been able to really examine them. And yeah, turbo lag is massive on 6.2 boats.

Back