• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P/S Pump Replacement Thoughts

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Mom got in the Duramax this morning and had no brakes, and dad said the pump whined a bit, then kicked in. So that leads me to believe the PS pump is bad. New replacement is $132 from Amazon, AC Delco: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049Z34BE/?tag=jhuntlink-20

Just wondering if there's anything else I should be doing while I'm doing that? I was planning on doing the belt, and maybe the fan clutch. Are those lines easier to do while in there? Or do they fail much? They're about $30 apiece I see. What lines do I need? I'm assuming there's 3 or 4 with the hydroboost?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Most of the time it's the high pressure line that leaks. I just did mine because the pump was whining.

Got the P/S pump replaced this weekend. Couple thoughts:

Don't buy a cheap pulley removal tool!!!! I bought a performance tools piece, and stripped the threads right off. Luckily O'Reilly's rented me a much less POS one, lol.

Also, removal is a bitch. You have to remove the TCM, then the fan shroud, with it's stupid little push pins that don't want to come out, and are impossible to be removed with anything but a side-cutters, without room to get in there. Then there are the two bolts that you have to get at from the wheelwell, which are a PAIN, then they run the wiring loom through the looped hoses, which you can't remove until you get the pump loose from the engine. I'm just glad I was replacing the hose, which I unhooked from the hydroboost, which made that easier. Once I got the right tool, the pulley came off, and I reversed from there. I'm glad I got a NEW AC Delco pump, which just required swapping the brackets, and not any pieces like some I've heard. If you don't get the line back on in the right position, then the pump won't bolt back up to the engine (ask me how I know). Anyways, another job done! Hope this helps someone in the future, lol.

So, 15 minutes and pops apart and back together, huh?

Sucks when it sucks like that. Glad your back together.

Don't worry, I'll have my son punch me in the chest for you.

It wasn't really that bad, just stupid engineering decisions made it that much more difficult. That and a busted tool necesitating an hour to run to the parts store.

I don't know how much different the LLY is from mine but I did just about the whole thing through the fender liner (twice *) and it wasn't that difficult once you found out how they put it together.
*Twice because I went with rebuild. The 2nd rebuilt one is not as bad as the first but it will have to be replaced at some point. And it will be a NEW one.

Curious what you spent? Mine was $131 from Amazon.

I also replaced the fan clutch, but replacing the PS pump would've been a bitch without removing the shroud, even with the TCM out of the way.

I'm thinking I spent about a buck and a quarter. I didn't have the luxury of time. Next one will be a new one.

Back