• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P.m.d. resistor problem.

Stoney

Reaction score
New to using forums and internet in general...but got a dumb question... I have a 97 C 3500 with a 6-5 Turbo diesel... New to diesel engines.. i-Ready thread that said it was supposed to have a resistor in the PMD plug.. I had recently done a PMD relocation to put it up in my bumper... after seeing this thred I unplugged my PMD and noticed there's no resistor in it.. so I ordered some through AutoZone they gave me a number five and a number 9.. I received them today and immediately put the number 9 in the plug.. keep in mind that the truck has a run fine up until now.. after installing the resistor the truck would not start... I took the resistor back out and plugged it back in without a resistor and it started fine.. so what's the deal with this resistor.. if I do a hard reset on the computer to relearn the resistor instead of using the stored codes won't it throw away check engine light if my IP pump isn't in perfect condition?

I would probably start by buying a different resistor, maybe from Leroy. On 96 and newer (OBD2) once the PCM reads the resistor during TDCO set it doesn't read it again. I suspect that the after the aftermarket resistor is installed it interferes with the physical connection in the connection, just like being unplugged.

So basically there's no need for the resistor?? Since it can't plug in with the resistor in place?? Because you're right with the resistor in there I had to fight with the plug to get it in and even once plugged in it looked like it was pushing out on an angle due to the clip.. as I had stated I'm new to you so I'm not familiar with Leroy . But appreciate any help / advice... I love this truck but she's temperamental..lol

I'd still get a resistor as a just in case. You should also get a spare PMD. They fail with annoying regularity. From your description of how it plugged in it sounds like there was a resistor already in the pmd and you were stacking them.

May be there is a resistor in there already so when you put another one, it has 2?
Just saying because resistor pcb is kind of small and thin and it is difficult to see.

No there's no resistor in it..the new one has 2 raised circuits..they are dorman brand.. and like I said when I try to plug in the cable you have to fight with it to get it in and it tries to push out like on an angle because of those raised circuits so it won't snap in perfectly square and tight.

But now that I think about it I never did actually look in the plug end of the cable.. didn't dawn on me that it could be stuck on that instead of in the PMD...

All of them are black...I have 4 of them..only difference in them is one has 2 colored dots on it..I think there blue and yellow but don't quote me on that.. I've got in the habit of collecting them because I found out these trucks like to burn them up.. so whenever I find a 6.5 that has been wrecked and has a relocated PMD I grabbed it.. I relocated mine into my front bumper air breather hole..stays nice and cold. Also put in a a/c Delco lift pump and keep an extra on board..new crank position sensor , new pcv valve Which was a waste of money 150.00 cause it still let's oil thru in to the turbo. Not sure what to do about that.. have twin 850cca batteries..with heavy gauge cable...put ground cables on pretty much everything...took off the hard plastic tube that goes into the flex tube that connects into the turbo and replaced it with a piece of 90 degree 3 in PVC pipe.. with a washable Spectre air filter.. I did that because the stock air tube kept collapsing where it makes the really sharp Bend where it fit into the flex pipe... I was told I need to change my harmonic balancer just because of the age of it

Grey are standadine right? Ive Heard people have alot of problems with them and aren't worth the money...

Back