• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Overdue maintenance

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
Finally got around to clean up my S&B. I pulled it out and sure enough, it looked like crap. I cleaned it off under the sink and an entire squadron of bugs came running out, along with black water. I didnt realize that the bottom of it was completely black and evidently, thats where it draws the majority of its air from. Thats an ideal spot for a scoop.

The inner fender well, where the filter sits at, there's a piece of thin metal. Is this something we can cut out for more airflow? I know on LLY's it was fairly common for people to cut something out of the fender.

Also, looking through the box, you can clearly see my passenger side fog light HID ballast.

Of course, now I have no filter oil to re oil it. I suppose I could go out and get some K&N oil, assuming its similar fluid but I'd rather have whats recommended for it.

Attachments

• HPIM1333.jpg
    HPIM1333.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 38
  • HPIM1334.jpg
    HPIM1334.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 33
  • HPIM1335.jpg
    HPIM1335.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM1336.jpg
    HPIM1336.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 29
And while I was underneath there, I happen to notice that my front sway bar is drenched in tranny fluid. I guess thats one more thing I'm gonna have to replace now. I guess I spoke too soon in the other thread.

And while I was underneath there, I happen to notice that my front sway bar is drenched in tranny fluid. I guess thats one more thing I'm gonna have to replace now. I guess I spoke too soon in the other thread.

That keeps the road salt from rusting away your undercarriage.. oh wait.. ):h

Unit, i have an AFE filter and just used my K+N oil recharger kit on it. I'd like to get a dry filter for it but dont want to spend the $ right now. Im sure the oil should be about the same.

Yup! Spoke too soon...
Noticed mine leaking some more today after it sat out on 5* weather all night. I guess Mike L has a good fix. Will have to get in touch with him.

Nick, you don't have a problem with the wetted filter and your MAF sensor like alot of others have had?

My S&B filter was dirty like yours Nick. I waited till the cleaning kit from S&B came before I cleaned and oiled mine. S&B's kit is good and easy to re-oil. I guess in a pinch you could use K&N oil till you get the S&B kit. I haven't had any MAF problems with mine either.

I agree that it would probably be easy to fab up a ram air duct to this intake.

I was outside studying it today trying to figure out what kind of pieces I would need. I already cut out a piece of plastic behind the fender well and it'd be a straight shot to the pavement below. Just gotta find something that I could easily bend and mount somewhere.

I have seen a Volant intake where the scoop mounted right behind the pass/ side tow hook. It looked perfect. This cant be that difficult though. I also wonder about the Banks scoop. The size and dimensions have to be similar to mount up to a Banks intake. All you would need is the tubing from the box to under the bumper...

If you use too much oil, you'll also drastically reduce your airflow and possibly ruin the filter when the engine tries to suck the whole thing in. The only reason for the oil is to trap particles too small for the element to catch, so not a lot of oil is needed.

I've never had a problem with any oiled filter on any vehicle I've ever owned.

Nick, you don't have a problem with the wetted filter and your MAF sensor like alot of others have had?

I think there was a post that mentioned an oil that did not effect the MAF sensor. I think a vendor spoke about it but I can not find it.

I think there was a post that mentioned an oil that did not effect the MAF sensor. I think a vendor spoke about it but I can not find it.
Yeah there were a few discussions about it a while back and I remember several guys were having MAF trouble because of the oil. Might be it was too much oil as Jay mentioned. I DO remember that all the discussions were about K&N units though.
Nick, if you take a trip up north for a visit, you'll have to have a way of blocking off the opening if it's winter or you'll be loading up with your old friend SNOW):h

I've always blasted the MAF with a shot of carb cleaner when cleaning the K&N on previous trucks. No MAF issues in the past with them (still running the stock filter in my 06). Side note- make sure the trans lines aren't rubbing the passenger side of your lower oil pan also.

I dread looking at mine. I'll be talking at look at it in the next few days. I'll let you know how mine looks also...

I was outside studying it today trying to figure out what kind of pieces I would need. I already cut out a piece of plastic behind the fender well and it'd be a straight shot to the pavement below. Just gotta find something that I could easily bend and mount somewhere.

I have seen a Volant intake where the scoop mounted right behind the pass/ side tow hook. It looked perfect. This cant be that difficult though. I also wonder about the Banks scoop. The size and dimensions have to be similar to mount up to a Banks intake. All you would need is the tubing from the box to under the bumper...

shop vac hose....the big diameter one...and for the intake side use the square shop vac end some hose clamps and zip ties and your in business

Back