• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Older Longblock

dieselburban

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Suburban that I am trying to fit a remanufactured Engine.

My inital problem was that I couldn't find anywhere to fit my turbo oil feed line.
I then discovered that on the original engine there was an oil pressure sensor mounted between the two heads towards the back of the engine. I do not have that on this block. There is a hole at the back on the driver side (see attached picture) and am wondering if this is the oil pressure location.

The casting number on the block I have right now is 10149599 - F074.
4GH2 701 - From the front of the engine on the drivers side under the head.
GM LD - From the drivers side at the front of the engine.
Unfortunately I do not know what the number of the one is that was removed although I am pretty sure it was the original engine.

Also, when I try fitting the bracket that holds the alternator and belt tensioner there is a gap of approx 0.250" between the bracket and the head.
Can I just put some washers between the bracket and cylinder head?
If I do this will it affect my sepentine belt?
Is there a physical difference in the length of the casting that would cause this condition?

Should I go back to the engine rebuilder and stamp my feet until I get an engine that has the same casting # as my original?

Please save me from going mad!

Thanks

1997 K2500 6.5TD Suburban.

Attachments

• DSC09907.jpg
    DSC09907.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 20
You have in your hands one of the better GM cast 6.5 engines.

Keep the 599!

You will find that the hole at the back of the engine is for the oil pressure sending unit. The units weren't moved to under the intake until the 96-97 time period.

As for the gap, are you sure you have everything put back in place correctly? I have installed a 599 into a 97 halfton and I had no problems with accessory fitment.

Make sure you don't have a bracket missing (engine lift point) and that you don't have the brackets backwards.

This engine swap (599 into 506) is straightforward.

Keep in mind that you will have issues with your oil cooler lines. The 599 uses smaller lines than your 97 truck.

Move your fittings from the 506 block onto the 599 block and your issue is solved....

I just ran out and checked my 96 (a 599 block). The turbo feed line goes into the block on the Pass side beside/behind the the Alt.

Good advice from Tim....especially if you are keeping the truck for the long haul....

Would you believe that it was camouflaged!

I actually looked at that location and convinced myself that it connected somewhere in the middle of the block.

My biggest regret in this whole engine replacement project is that I did not take a picture of each and every stage so as to avoid these delays.

Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• DSC09908.jpg
    DSC09908.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 13
Back