• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Okay, I give up

RCpullerdude

Reaction score
It's been a while since the truck has had me this stumped. It used to take a splash of oil every 4-600 miles to top off. Now it's going through the operating range in a little more than 300 miles. I have tested the CDR/blow-by using Heath's way, and it checks out fine. I can't see any obvious (fresh) leaks on the underside, and there's no more blue in the exhaust than a normal diesel "hint" of blue that comes out with black smoke. I also can't see any oil leaks possibly from the cooler/lines either. The oil's going somewhere, but I don't know where.

0. Describe in detail the problem you are having. Please be as descriptive as possible.
posted above
1. Does the engine crank, or 'turn over'?
Yes
1a. Does the engine start and run?
Yes
1a1. If the engine does not start - Crack injector line: do you have fuel?
N/A
1b. Do you have a Wait To Start Light & the amount of time (seconds) lit.
Probably 5-10 seconds
1c. Ambient Condition (temperature outside indicate F or C) _____ °
70-80F
1d. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer).
N/A
1e. Are you experiencing stalling?
No
1f. If Stalling, describe (upon startup only, down the road, hit a bump etc)
N/A
1g. If Stalling, do you notice loss of dash or instruments?
-note if experiencing stalling,you must indicate PMD location in #24.
N/A

1h. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions. Cone filters have lost disk and stopped air to turbo.
New air filter
1.1 Lift pump test - describe results
Last I checked, it worked fine
2. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent
On when a code is thrown
2a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes/No
Yes
3. Model year
3a. Odometer reading (indicate if in miles or km)
189,XXX miles
3b. Miles on major engine components if been replaced (example Injection pump)
Unknown
3c. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......)
DS4, don't know what one, not the 5280.
4. Have you scanned for engine codes? (varies by pre/post 96) yes/no
Yes
5. List exact results on engine codes:
33, 35, 36
6. Air Filter condition (visual check)
New
7. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed/condition unknown/mileage since changed)
Less than 5K
8. Condition of Battery terminal connections (removed, cleaned and tightened)
One changed, other three clean
8a. Known condition and age of the batteries.
N/A
8b. Are batteries of differing age or are they a matched set?
Appear to be matched
8c. Condition of Major Grounds. (same drill as batt - removed, cleaned, retightened)
Seem to be fine
9. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/no
No
10. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes/no
No
11. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts?
No
13. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Yes/no
Just as it should, only till the turbo spools
14. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues?
No
15. Turbo check out - pass/fail
Pass
16. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit)
Yes
17. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD.
18. Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-diesel, #2 Diesel, #1Diesel, SVO/WVO, other
19. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list.
PowerService DieselKleen and a splash of 2 stroke oil
20. Please indicate geographic region you are in: (example: Texas or Canada)
NW Pennsylvania
21. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having?
No
22. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better.
4" exhaust
23. Upon unscrewing the fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? yes/no
Yes
24. Location of PMD/FSD? On the pump/remoted over intake/remoted out of engine bay (please specify placement specifically)
On front skid
24a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from a vendor?)
Heath

Now, I know that I need a new fuel cap, and that the 35 and 36 indicate a bad IP, but I'm in no hurry to change the IP, especially since the truck is running so well. I have also found a possible culprit to the 33.

So, if anyone has any ideas, please, any help would be appericiated.

Coolant's fine. Doesn't seem to have any oil in it.

If it is on the exhaust side of the turbo, I'll find it when I put a new turbo on.

if its in the exhaust side of the turbo you'd know it. clouds of thick white smoke out the tailpipe as the oil hits the hot exhaust pipe. i can't remember which member on either here or DP had this issue. check your valve cover bolts. crawl under the truck and look for leaks. check the oil cooler lines as we all know they will leak eventually.

i had a bad oil leak and found a valve cover bolt almost 4 turns loose. the leak confused the heck out of me too as it started at the valve cover, dripped onto the exhaust manifold(or right past it), hit the tranny cooler lines, ran to the lowest part of the tranny cooler lines, then dripped onto either the starter or the crossover pipe, ran to the lowest point of the crossover pipe, then dripped onto the ground. i had no idea where to start looking but i figured "it can't be something as simple as a valve cover bolt", but sure enough it was.

if its in the exhaust side of the turbo you'd know it. clouds of thick white smoke out the tailpipe as the oil hits the hot exhaust pipe. i can't remember which member on either here or DP had this issue. check your valve cover bolts. crawl under the truck and look for leaks. check the oil cooler lines as we all know they will leak eventually.

i had a bad oil leak and found a valve cover bolt almost 4 turns loose. the leak confused the heck out of me too as it started at the valve cover, dripped onto the exhaust manifold(or right past it), hit the tranny cooler lines, ran to the lowest part of the tranny cooler lines, then dripped onto either the starter or the crossover pipe, ran to the lowest point of the crossover pipe, then dripped onto the ground. i had no idea where to start looking but i figured "it can't be something as simple as a valve cover bolt", but sure enough it was.

LOL, sounds like my drip.... Maybe should check em all.. whats the torque on em?

Coolant's fine. Doesn't seem to have any oil in it.

If it is on the exhaust side of the turbo, I'll find it when I put a new turbo on.
if there are no leaks anywhere,no oil pullover at the cdr valve, then best bet is the turbo seal or maybe exaust valve seals are bad. altough i would think that exhaust back pressure would prevent this.

Dave may have hit it on the head, as I do have oil in the same areas as he stated. Just doesn't look fresh, but may be. Only place I found actual "fresh" oil was on the large hex on the verticle-horizontal oil filter adapter.

LOL, sounds like my drip.... Maybe should check em all.. whats the torque on em?

no idea. i just made it tight. not tight with a 4 foot 3/4 breaker bar tight, but tight with a 3/8 drive ratchet and about a foot and 1/2 of extensions. ask TD he'd know.

Dave may have hit it on the head, as I do have oil in the same areas as he stated. Just doesn't look fresh, but may be. Only place I found actual "fresh" oil was on the large hex on the verticle-horizontal oil filter adapter.

make sure your valve cover bolts are tight(not break the bolts tight of course). check your oil pan bolts while your at it. my oil didn't look fresh(the heat of the engine "dried" the oil it seems). it looked old but i was losing oil so i knew that oil was fresh at one point. if you've got old looking oil somewheres on the outside of the motor it was fresh at one point.

I'm chaging my oil filter adapter tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes (thats the hex head that leaks)... Got my 3 seals and my torque wrench, can't wait to get rid of an oil leak, i'd like a leakless oil...

Although, having to add 1 quart of fresh oil every 2500miles keeps the additives fresh... either way :)

Back