• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ok to go back to regular Diesel?

merlin5577

Diesel > Gasoline
Reaction score
On my 85' the previous owner ran it on home made biodiesel for approximately 3 years. I know he made modifications to it, but I dont know what. I am planning on running it on straight diesel, and dont believe I will have any problems, but wanted to hear from people who have intimate knowledge of bio-diesel. I filled it up from half a tank and besides starting easier it drove the same. Maybe i'm just paranoid. Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks!

:cheers2:

Switching from Bio diesel to Diesel is the easy step.

Switching from Diesel to bio Diesel is the hard step. Bio Diesel lifts all the crap that has built up in your tank and lines and cloggs the filter(s).

It also depends on what he did to convert it. The big thing you need to do is put the proper rubber lines in that the bio Diesel will not eat threw the line.

Bio Diesel has a lot of detergents / cleaning properties in it and that is what cleans out everything.

Since it is already running on it I would run a blend of it from a fuel station if you have one close by. But, that would only happen if it is cheaper.

Switching from Bio diesel to Diesel is the easy step.

Switching from Diesel to bio Diesel is the hard step. Bio Diesel lifts all the crap that has built up in your tank and lines and cloggs the filter(s).

It also depends on what he did to convert it. The big thing you need to do is put the proper rubber lines in that the bio Diesel will not eat threw the line.

Bio Diesel has a lot of detergents / cleaning properties in it and that is what cleans out everything.

Since it is already running on it I would run a blend of it from a fuel station if you have one close by. But, that would only happen if it is cheaper.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Bio Diesel usually has a little less BTU's, which equates to a little less fuel mileage, and a little less power. Bio has much more of a solvent quality to it! Which means that it cleans much better, and will loosen up any crud or sludge type material in the tank and fuel lines, thus catching it in the filter.
On the other hand, it provides much better lubrication, and is usually much cheaper than regular #2 Diesel at the pump.

Back