• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ok, So Talk Me Out Of A ZF-6

JayTheCPA

Reaction score
Looking to start a thread on exactly what it will take to mate a ZF S6-650 to the 6.5; in my case this is a swap out for the 4L80E and rounding out the discussion to cover swapping out other transmissions is a good thing. Am seeing where there is some interest in the ZF-6, but the search feature is not working well with query items like “ZF-6”, “ZF S6-650”, etc so it is a little tough to get a feel (or results) where anybody has completely worked through a ZF-6 conversion.

Am nearly convinced that the 4L80E is not the right tranny for me given my preference on speed control is with the throttle / gearing and then friction when necessary. I do have an ECM tune which gets better TCC lock-up above 45 mph (versus the OEM tune) which I like, but brake application forces an unlock which I do not like. Resulting from a good bit of research and conversations on the topic of getting the 4L80E to act more stick-like, it looks like this is a square-peg and round-hole goal where the OBDII programmers have yet to conquer this yet and likely it is simply outside of what the 4L80E will do anyway. Another research area was addition of a BD Torqloc to get the lower gears to lock-up at lower speeds, and while this tool looks nice, it seems to have a mild temperamental aspect of throwing a code in OBDII systems or making the tranny go into limp mode if not handled correctly.

Enough of the background and on to the topic . . .

Am seriously thinking about the GM variant ZF S6-650 as it is pretty much what I want:
- A standard shift.
- Plenty beefy to tow and a proven platform.
- Lower engine RPM’s (and noise) on the highway.

For swapping to a ZF S6-650, here is what I have so far:
- The ZF S6-650 was converted into an Avalanche 5.3 gasser with a really good write-up, so I know this is close to a drop-in solution but it does need some fabrication / parts replacements.
- Bolts up to the 6.5 (and, from what I am seeing, most if not all of the GM V8 engines).
- Heavier than the 4LXX and NV platforms by about 60#’s.
- Costs more than the NV.
- Need to shorten the rear drive shaft and get a longer front shaft (latter not necessary for 2WD).
- Need to install all the clutch pedal guts and cut a hole for the stick.
- Might need a lift kit or modifications to the body (depending on the suspension).
- (Self evident, but listing anyway) An ECM tune when replacing an automatic.
- (Self evident, but listing anyway) A towing clutch (Luk, South Bend, etc).

Only pieces that I have not dug into yet are:
- Verifying that the misc transfer cases bolt-up to the ZF-6 (looks like they do) and (for the push-button 4x4 systems) whether a wire harness extension is necessary due the ZF-6 pushing the x-fer back a few inches; also need to verify whether the input shaft mates with the ZF-6 or need to change the shaft.
- Making it work with the push-button 4x4 system so that the system knows when the transmission is in neutral (confident this is workable otherwise the push button system would not work with a NV).
- Whether it needs a different flywheel (and if it does, definitely a single mass and NOT the dual mass).
- If a different flywheel is necessary, does it need a different starter?
- Whether my 8600# suspension will need a lift or hump expansion; or put another way, which bodies / suspensions need modification.
- Whether the speedometer needs recalibration and if so, is it changeable by software or ship it off for another ECM tune.

Here is what I am trying to avoid:
- Moving this thread out of the 6.5 section as the focus is how the ZF S6-650 mates to the 6.5 versus a general transmission discussion (not to mention am not seeing a ZF-6 Forum (yet)).
- Comparing the ZF S6-650 to other transmissions: focus is how to make the swap work and nail down / work through any ‘gotchas’ that I have not already caught.

I could be wrong but, I thought the ZF-6 has a different bolt pattern.

Why not the NV4500?

The NV4500 5th gear ratio is .73

The ZF-6 6th gear ratio is .72

The NV4500 could/would be a direct drop in.

I could be wrong but, I thought the ZF-6 has a different bolt pattern.

Why not the NV4500?

The NV4500 5th gear ratio is .73

The ZF-6 6th gear ratio is .72

Because a 6 speed would be the tits! lol plus why not make something that no one has done yet. Well, atleast i have yet to see a 6 speed behind the 6.5.

The good: Bolt pattern matches up, gears are heavier but there is still the big spread like the 3-4 in nv4500s, less stories of smoked synchros. If ferman got a duramax/Allison combo under his burb then the zf6 should fit too.

Possible bad I can think of: In a 4x4 you might need to use a np263(?) tcase from gmt 800 so that it will bolt to the tranny, tcase control should just be simple wiring. The 5.3 is nearly the exact same motor as a 6.0 on the outside so that is not a fair comparison but it is a place to start. Maybe look for swaps into other gmt400 5.7 or 7.4 gassers.

I see the desire. I didnt realize the zf and the nv had so close of a top gear. Slows my want by a good bit! What type of a throwout does the zf have?

I just mated a ZF 5-speed to an NP205 transfer. Simply because Advanced Adapters said it can't be done! That and for the 7.3 69 F*** highboy I am building for a buddy.

You'll need more spec like spline count on the input shaft, pilot diameter, Throwout depth, donor clutch diameter and whether you can get a correct clutch disc to fit both.

Just realized I can help with the disc. I race with some guys who build clutches.

Duramax Allison would do what you want. The 4L80E simply burns stuff up with compression braking. 2nd gear overrun clutch is the weak point. Unless you get a good TCC clutch it is next on the burn up list.

Manual transmissions are expensive to rebuild. NV stuff is cloned in China parts as they closed up. I get the 4L80E rebuilt for $995 in Phoenix so I don't see any cost savings for a manual. Further changing gears lets the turbo spool down with a manual trans. The feel of the auto with the 6.5 is improved like day and night when you remove the factory turbo cork for a larger turbo that gives you power where the auto likes to tow on grades: high RPM.

The 6.5 doesn't like to be lugged.

Why not the NV4500?
. . .

Looking to keep focus on the ZF6, but to quickly go OT, the NV does not have quite the beef that I want where, as Tanman points out, the gears are more sturdy, had not previously mentioned that I have it in my SOB, and it is nice. :driving:

If ferman got a duramax/Allison combo under his burb then the zf6 should fit too.
. . .
Possible bad I can think of: The 5.3 is nearly the exact same motor as a 6.0 . . .

For fitting under the body, the challenge seems that most bodies need a lift or the hump needs banged out to fit the Allison, so am expecting the same to fit the ZF-6. Personally I prefer to avoid a lift (that is just me) and am open to a little body work to expand the hump. With an 8600# suspension, suspect that I might not need to bang out the hump.

For doing the math of getting from a 5.3 to the 6.5, that is kind of the 'degrees of separation to Kevin Bacon' logic that I used where I know that a DMax was mated to a 4L80E, so if that combination worked then the ZF-6 should bolt-up.

You'll need more spec like spline count on the input shaft, pilot diameter, Throwout depth, donor clutch diameter and whether you can get a correct clutch disc to fit both.

Just realized I can help with the disc. I race with some guys who build clutches.

Exactly the type of details I prefer to hunt down during the planning stage :agreed:

Duramax Allison would do what you want.
. . .
I get the 4L80E rebuilt for $995 in Phoenix so I don't see any cost savings for a manual. . . .The feel of the auto with the 6.5 is improved like day and night when you remove the factory turbo cork for a larger turbo that gives you power where the auto likes to tow on grades: high RPM.

The 6.5 doesn't like to be lugged.

Agree that the Dmax and Allison are an excellent package. DMax would definitely quiet down the cabin and the Allison is now the benchmark for A/T's.

For cost savings of a rebuilt 4L80E over a conversion to manual, agree that it is more economical to stick with the A/T, but what I am after is more control over the vehicle where I do the thinking on shift points.

About the GM-X turbo . . . Agree and it is Gone :coal:

The problem you may run into that I could see would be that the rear of the 6.5 sits back quite a ways. And I believe the ZF6 is pretty large in the bellhousing area. My only saving grace for fitting teh ALLISON in was that the DURAMAX sits forward almost 2 inches from where the 6.5 did, so it moved the huge bellhousing furthur forward. I'm sure it's easliy doable as a GM 241 can easily be mated up to it(swap in a 263 input shaft into the 241 and go), or you could swap in the stronger 261 transfer case(manual shift version of the 263 which is what I run in my BURB). I'm sure it's doable, the only real question is, is it feaseable?

I am interested in this also. The NV4500 is good, but the ZF6 is great. the only driving experience I have with them is the ford version, and I loved the tranny. (not the truck)

I bet a 3500HD would be easier to squeeze one in, but then the issue of getting the parking brake to work comes into play, as HDs have a transmission mounted parking brake.

the easiest non HD swap would probably happen in my 99 C3500 dually. internal slave, no parking brake issues, 2wd, etc.

I am interested in this also. The NV4500 is good, but the ZF6 is great. the only driving experience I have with them is the ford version, and I loved the tranny. (not the truck)

I bet a 3500HD would be easier to squeeze one in, but then the issue of getting the parking brake to work comes into play, as HDs have a transmission mounted parking brake.

the easiest non HD swap would probably happen in my 99 C3500 dually. internal slave, no parking brake issues, 2wd, etc.

Get a ZF6 out of a medium duty and your set.

how much difference is there between the ford and chevy zf6? bellhousing?

Have not had the chance to see the two variants side-by side, but from research it looks like the only differences are bolt pattern and (as GM Guy points out) internal oil pump; aside from that it appears that they are the same.

To the question of working out the parking brake on a HD compared to the GMT400 system, had not seen that come up as an issue and not sure whether it is a factor. My experience with the Ford version is that the parking brake is like the GMT400: applies the rear brakes.

So far it is starting to look like the outstanding questions are whether the input shaft spline mates natively or needs a mod, what clutch, and whether the existing flywheel is a keeper.

Have not had the chance to see the two variants side-by side, but from research it looks like the only differences are bolt pattern and (as GM Guy points out) internal oil pump; aside from that it appears that they are the same.

To the question of working out the parking brake on a HD compared to the GMT400 system, had not seen that come up as an issue and not sure whether it is a factor. My experience with the Ford version is that the parking brake is like the GMT400: applies the rear brakes.

So far it is starting to look like the outstanding questions are whether the input shaft spline mates natively or needs a mod, what clutch, and whether the existing flywheel is a keeper.

Medium duty trucks are required to have a parking brake atatched to the rear of the trans. The 3500HD GMT-400 had one on it just like all other medium duty trucks.

Update on the research.

Spoiler: Unless somebody comes up with an adapter plate to mount the Ford variant to the GM block, the ZF-6 conversion simply is not a good idea.

Spoke with Midwest Transmissions and got some excellent information:
> GM elected to go their own way with the ZF-6 and as a result the production run was fairly short, some parts are now discontinued, and getting hard to find. Midwest strongly recommended to not convert to a GM ZF-6 even though they had them for sale.
> Ford variant ZF-6's are still common and no concerns about finding parts for rebuilds.
> I explored an idea of a hybrid ZF-6 (GM housing, Ford gears), but this was a no-go as GM's housing simply did not allow any of the Ford spec'd gears, pump, or cooler ports.
> Midwest's recommendations were to go with a NV4500 which they could also supply new. Available options were to cryo parts to allow additional strength for increase in power inputs and add coolers to the PTO ports.
> For grins I asked about a ZF-5 as (on paper) it looks lighter and natively stronger than the NV4500, but there are no bell housings for the GM block. (And, Yes, I know that ZF-5's 5th gear is 0.76 on the 'Wide' build. ;) )

So, without a (reasonable) adapter kit to mate a Ford ZF-6 to the GM block, a six speed manual for the 6.5 is looking like a dead end. If I *really* wanted to stick with the six speed, Midwest mentioned the NV5600 as preferable to the GM ZF-6 . . .

Overall, I think there is good news from the conversation with Midwest as they were willing to source the parts (through contacts) for an automatic to manual conversion which opens up an option when looking for donor parts :)

Have you thought about an auxiliary trans, a 3 speed Brownie with underdrive, direct drive, and overdrive. Behind a NV 4500, that is. That and a divorced transfer case would give you plenty of gear options. Quite easy to operate, once you get everything figured out.

NV5600's are also getting tough to find as they weren't used for very long either. It is a STOUT trans though.

Main goal of the update was for the benefit of anybody who wanted to do this specific swap for a 6.5.

Have you thought about an auxiliary trans, a 3 speed Brownie with underdrive, direct drive, and overdrive.

Yes, am looking into splitters. The only relatively 'drop-in' splitters I know about are GearVendors, US Gear (NLA), and the Ranger; need to dig a bit more as to whether any will work how I want to use them. Am open to suggestion if there are other known good browinies / splitters that work with the 6.5.

NV5600's are also getting tough to find as they weren't used for very long either. It is a STOUT trans though.

Agree. Weight (360lbs), price, and rarity factor were not appealing options.

Back