• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil pump direction of rotation

AlaskaBill

Reaction score
To prime the oil galleries or fill filter and cooler, do you turn the oil pump clockwise looking down at the pump drive shaft? I want to prime the oil system but don't want to rotate pump in the wrong direction.

Yeah I could have worded that better . When I primed mine , I used a cutoff oil pump drive driven by a drill . First thing I noticed was the oil pumping up thru the drive and covering me and the back end of the engine . After poking around on the interwebs , I found a post by MGW ( Missy Good Wrench ) advising the need for blocking the very small hole on the housing . Once that was done , priming was completed without rivers of oil . The housing completes the oil passage , that's why there is a ring around the base to cross over to the other side of the block . Just wondering how good the oil flow will be without the housing .

That is very interesting. I primed my truck in 2009 when I rebuilt the engine but can't remember how it all went. I have another cover, with gear and all, but maybe I could remove the gear and drill a hole in the cover. How else do you block the oil? Allowing it to flow through would be better!

I had an extra drive so out came the hack saw . Pretty sure a 1/2" drill was what I used to prime it . Thinking I had all my bases covered , drill was on full speed ahead . Much to my surprise the resulting torrent of 15W-40 that covered my upper arm and the rear of the engine was a complete shock . There is a very small hole under the hold down flange on the drive . I'm talking 1/8" or smaller . Block that or the oil pressure will get in there and come straight up the shaft .

Back