• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil filter shortage for 3.0L GM Diesels.

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
I was joking with my service advisor about a stupid simple oil change that I needed an appointment for. I joked "if you have the filter in stock for this 6.0L" ... He wasn't laughing and explained they just got in some 3.0L diesel oil filters they had been waiting a month for. I don't know if it's a unique oil filter for just this engine.

Better add an oil filter to your spare fuel filter(s) kit you keep on hand.

I remember when the duramax first came out,
Our company had the “First one this side of Mississippi River” as put by the GM engineers, along with 20 of the first 50 to the western US that went into the high mileage program.

We couldn’t get fuel filters for anything. They gave us loaner gas pickups to use as a dozen were down for no fuel filters available. That very first one that was a service truck - we made the dealership remove a fuel filter off a brand new truck from the lot so it could be in use or threatened to never buy from them again. That fuel filter was delivered by the head of commercial sells within the hour.

Couple the “newness” along with all the shortages everywhere and it is going to be rough on many things. Good thing for anyone lookin for jobs around most of the country- the hire in wages are up 15-20% right now. Lot of sad folks gonna realize they missed the boat of getting started at higher pay as the unemployment runs out in their area and everyone tries to get a job at the same time. Wages will instantly fall back to minimum wage, while people that been there 18 months make what will take the new hires 5 years to get that wage.

Like here $8.75, but McDonalds hiring at $13. People leave McDonalds to start at Taco shops to start at $14. Talking to friends that run places saying they won’t bother lowering wages on current employees when minimum wage kicks in because they are enticed to stay a loyal employee for the extra cash. My bil runs a world class restaurant on the strip, says he is screaming for good chefs and even dish washers. The starting pay there until the fed money runs out it way higher there too. And same thing, no desire to replace a trained person for newbie over a few dollars an hour. Guys I know that own mechanic shops- same story.

I am sure it is same thing in making parts, shipping them, etc. once we get 6 months out of the unemployment freebies, supplies will be plentiful again.

At work we are having a terrible time keeping up with the schedules of the projects that we have going right now. A lot of the material and equipment that we used to could get in 7-10 days has now turned into 6-8 weeks a lot of times. Sometimes over 10 weeks. There is no quick ship option for 75% of the material or equipment anymore. Air handling units are the same way because of the control boards in them. Some of the things we are having problems getting are exhaust fans and control valves. Those two have a lead time of 12-16 weeks most of the time now. The low work force in the factories are affecting the whole HVAC industry. Another thing happening right now is that most vendors won’t give a delivery date once the material or equipment has been released because of the shipping industry being so unpredictable at the moment. I will get a email saying that my item is ready for shipment and that they will be in contact once they find a driver to pick it up and deliver it.

Were getting the same thing on hard parts for trucks and trailers at my work. I work in the parts room in the garage of a steel mill. engine sensors, injectors and more that we get from the local KW dealer were hearing that they can only get 1 per dealer per day! to them, were just one customer with a fleet of trucks. no telling how many fellt customers they have on top of walk-in owner operators they get only to have access to 1 injector or such per day to sell!!

I bought the last can of starting fluid from the Orielly store here. He didnt know when they was going to be able to get more.
Tires, have a tire on tje wifeys 95 toyodah corolla that has a busted belt. Wobbles like crazy, its a warranty tire, been on order for over a month.
Yeah man, walmart here dont have Rotell T-6 5-40 oil.
better get the filters and oil while You can cause it could be a very long wait for more.

I was telling my daughter this on the oil filters, were actually thinking of ordering a case of filters for all of our vehicles from rock auto.
we use the rotella t6 5w40 in her Jetta. it's very specific on what oil to use on that car due to cam wear. might need to source a couple of cases of that too!

I was telling my daughter this on the oil filters, were actually thinking of ordering a case of filters for all of our vehicles from rock auto.
we use the rotella t6 5w40 in her Jetta. it's very specific on what oil to use on that car due to cam wear. might need to source a couple of cases of that too!
Used to get it in 2 or 2-1/2 gallon jugs ot the T-6 at walmart. Not any more. Last time there I hauled out their last two one gallon jugs of the
T-5 15-40 and they have had no more of those sincd.
Maybe they can be got through the walmart online. Free shipping over I think it was 40 bucks or some such.

I buy oil filters one at a time, with a spare on hand, to prove when the oil was changed for warranty purposes.

Electrical contact cleaner at O'reilly is also out of stock and unknown when more will come in.

Don't get me started about something I had sit at the fright yard for a month till they could unload the damn trailer.

as far as oil filters go, what's everyone's thoughts on Fleetguard and Donaldson oil filters for use on our trucks? I can get some good prices on them buying through my work and often wondered about getting some for my rig. we run those brands on all of our equipment.

we have also been experiencing order delays from both mfg's and their claiming it's due to a plastics shortage.

as for oil, I know this sounds crazy, but I watched a youtube video on how a guy separated the black gunk and soot from motor oil using a couple of chemicals. he made the used oil look just as clean as fresh new oil! I would wonder about sending a sample of that and of the new oil in to get a detailed chemical analysis and breakdown to see if that might be a viable option. I know one of these days with all the push for EV's and fuel / oil prices on the rise. it might come a day where it's gonna be hard to keep our rigs on the road!

Hope that time will never come, but it'll be nice be prepared for that! Ill have to look for that video and post up a link.

Fleetguard and Donaldson oil filters

Two of the best filters out there.

Wix is the best I can get locally, but, their plastic krap Duramax fuel filter let me down as it sucked air at the WIF threads. AZ DOT constantaly had the WIF sensors fall completely out of the Wix fuel filters. Beware of the EPIC FAIL Wix "XP" filters as they allow larger stuff through so it will last longer. An otherwise solid improved design and they CHOKE on the ONE detail that matters.

There was a plan I was going to do, but found out it’s a bad idea for offroading.

no paper oil filter. Use the screen type like is used in nascar, it’s just mesh stainless steel. This allows MASSIVE oil flow volume. Then pickup a centrifuge from Leroy, and use an exterior booster pump to get it to minimum 90 psi with 100 psi desired. At 90 pei that filters out to 1/10 of 1 micron. That means it will remove 100% of the soot even.

The trick is to make sure you set it up so the centrifuge pump never steals oil from the regular oil pump.

In the end I will just run a wix and set up the same kind of centrifuge with a 120volt motor driven oil pump. Have a drain hose of the bottom of oil pan and another that is return (like into the turbo return spot). Those two hoses will have Parker auto sealing quick disconnects that plug in together for normal driving, then plug into the centrifuge at home when I park. At the 90psi, the centrifuge cleans 60 gph. So just leave it plugged in overnight once a week. Poof- perfectly clean oil each week. Then I could add the 2 hose set up on other cars and do same thing.

There is also the problem of fitting the system Leroy sells under the hood of the hummer.

What people can do is just add a ball valve on the oil feed hose, and shut it off for when you do crazy offroading, and let it just work like normal using his kit. The higher the oil pressure you can get to it, the better it cleans. Somewhere there is a chart for that style centrifuge that says how clean it gets per what psi.

The other option is the Frantz bypass filter. Literally cleans better than brand new oil is. As in they sampled brand new oil, and it had more contamination than after they ran it through their filter. It can’t do better than the centrifuge unless the oil pressure feeding the centrifuge is to low. This is where that chart comes in crucial todecide which is best for you. The centrifuge is nothing to buy later. Just clean it out and go.

Yup. There is a plastics shortage. Between the February Arctic blast and Hurricane Ida, most Gulf refinery production has been severely affected and plastic resin beads is one of the casualties.

As for parts availability, the entire Vertical Integration supply chain is FUBAR Globally right now, and it's not because of unemployment bennies. It's the entire chain from raw materials availability to processing, manufacturing, storage, shipping, port facilities, trucking, warehousing, distribution and even store staffing. Be prepared for things like regional toilet paper/paper towel/cardboard box shortages due to the Northwestern's forest fires affecting the timber/paper industry on top of the Delta Variant affecting labor availability. At last count, there were 89! Container ships "parked" off of Los Angeles and Long Beach docks awaiting unloading, those two ports are responsible for about ⅓ of the US's imports. Then there's New Orleans's Port and still dealing with the aftermath of Ida.

So, your 3.0 Duramax oil filters and O'Reilly's contact cleaner are most likely sitting in CONEX containers in the middle of the stack on a couple of ships sitting in the Pacific waiting their turn to dock in a month or two (or three).

Back