• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil filter shortage for 3.0L GM Diesels.

I finally placed an order for a case of Fleetguard LF3679 oil filters for my rig.. cost less than $40, I think I might do the same for my wifes and daughters car while stocking up on oil too.

Beware the shelf life of Fleetguard filters is 5 years for oil filters and 3 years for fuel filters due to media treatments (say to strip water out) going bad.

Like old tires: chunks of an old filter coming off and plugging oil passages up is worst case. Warranty time limits if any filter takes your protected item out are a good question.

Read the date on the filter as it may already have aged out on the shelf before YOU got it. Cummins agrees on age and refunded my money on the 6 year old fuel filter they sent me for a vintage generator...

Filters and tires age vary greatly. The delco air and fuel filter for hmmwv has 15 year shelf life.
Any military tires are required to withstand 10 years storage outside without damage, then go into their 5 year use cycle. Thats why they got rid of the MTR tires- at year 9 in southwest they started showing signs of age (small crack).

Reading on the wix / napa gold oil filters they have 12 year shelf life. On individual wrapped units it is 13. I looked that up before I bought that case- which I may never use. SMH

Back