• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil cooler install.

Stoney

Reaction score
Got the new oil cooler ,braided hoses and fitting today ...already getting dark here so have to wait till tomorrow to install...anyone got any tips?? It seems pretty straight forward to do but...it would be nice if they included some kind of instructions for install..or pointers at least...

I used several diffetent wrenches. Including a straight 90 open end. I forget the size. Maybe 7/8? Each wrench would turn the fitting a portion of a turn. If this is 4x4 you will want the 4x4 adapter orings before you start.

It is a good idea to plug the block heater in for a couple of hours before ypu start. The bolt holding the oil filter adapter on would not budge. After being plugged in for 2 hours. It came right out with little effort. Or maybe i just had an incredible surge in strength while waiting.

It is my belief that a warm block also allows the block fittings to go in a might easier.

I think there are some good threads someplace on doing the install. Maybe google install srainless engine oil cooler
Ines 6.5 diesel

I definitely remember a thread on here somewhere a couple of years back on doing an oil cooler install. IIRC, the member's conclusion after fighting with the cooler to hose fittings to get them loose a few degrees of a turn at a time was that it would have been easier in the long run to remove the grille and front bumper for better access and to attach the new hoses to the new cooler first, then route the hoses and mount the cooler, then do the block fittings and the routing clamps that hold the hoses in position. But, I could be wrong, old age and all setting in!

I definitely remember a thread on here somewhere a couple of years back on doing an oil cooler install. IIRC, the member's conclusion after fighting with the cooler to hose fittings to get them loose a few degrees of a turn at a time was that it would have been easier in the long run to remove the grille and front bumper for better access and to attach the new hoses to the new cooler first, then route the hoses and mount the cooler, then do the block fittings and the routing clamps that hold the hoses in position. But, I could be wrong, old age and all setting in!
Dang the old timers

Back