• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil change interval with 5W40 ROTELLA synthetic?

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
What do you guys out there reccomend for the change interval with synthetic 5W40 ROTELLA? I've heard some say 7,500 and others say all the way up to 15,000. I've always used 15W40 in the past and changed it at 5K miles, but the DMAX spins over much better with the 5W40 in her.

Been using Rotella T (and T6) 5W-40 synthetic for a while now and 10K miles seems to be the sweet spot.

The only way you will truly know when to change it is by doing a UOA. I would sample at 5K and see what the TBN looks like. Most laboratories will give you some input as to how many more miles the oil can take before a change is needed.

My '01 manual says oil changes should occur at 7500 miles or 5000 miles for severe use....stop and go, dusty conditions, frequent towing or hauling.

Seems like even good ol' dino is good for 7500 miles unless you are in the severe duty catagory. I think you would get at LEAST 7500 miles with 5w-40 syn. I do agee that the oil analysis is the safe way to extend drain intervals, and then 10-15K intervals are within reach.

How much does an oil analysis cost? Back when the Rotella 5w40 was $12 a gallon it wasn't a big deal to just change it but now it is $20+
I have always gone between 7 and 8k between.

UOA's range in price. I have paid between $20.00 to $33.00 depending who does it. At times dumping the oil is cheaper overall but I like to see the wearable metal levels as well as if there is antifreeze or fuel mixed in. It gives you a good look at how all the internal engine parts are working.

I've got 6,800 miles on it now, and the oil looks surprisingly clean for a diesel with that many miles on the oil. I was planning on running it to 10K and changing it as the synthetic is $20 a gallon, but the regular stuff is up to $14 down here by me now. It's wierd having a diesel that in 6,800 miles hasn't used any oil yet, and with over 170K on her total she still doesn't have any leaks in her.

I've run Rotella syn since new. I am on a 5K interval. I know this is way overkill, but the way I am using the Sierra that is between 9 and 12 months. I do the tire rotation, spin on filter and chassis lube at the same time and a fuel filter every other change. It is really easy to keep track of this interval, plus, the used oil goes to good use keeping Finger's shop warm in the winter :D

I run Rotella 5w-40 in mine and change it at 6-7k and comes out a lot cleaner from lbz (egr blocked and pcv roroute) than my lmm at 3k. Im sure I could go further but I drive a lot of short distances in dusty conditions and pull hard and heavy fairly often.

If you want cleaner oil, invest in a bypass oil filter setup. It's like kidney dialysis for your oil! It still gets dark, but absence is the soot particles. Nice piece of mind!

If you want cleaner oil, invest in a bypass oil filter setup. It's like kidney dialysis for your oil! It still gets dark, but absence is the soot particles. Nice piece of mind!

I would, but room is at a premium under my BURB. I would have to mount it back by the transfer case to find enough room under there for it.

I would, but room is at a premium under my BURB. I would have to mount it back by the transfer case to find enough room under there for it.

I bent my bracket for my bypass system when I hit a rut in a field the otherday so now I will be relocation my to behind my T-Case and modifying my bracket.

Back